Welcome to the Simply Joyful Podcast
We are chatting legacy with Jackie Green and Lauren McAfee, authors of Only One Life: How a Woman's Every Day Shapes an Eternal Life! This is such an amazing episode. I just know you are going to be so encouraged. Be sure to listen in and check out all the show notes below.
Get ready for a great interview — get your own Simply Joyful Podcast mug HERE!
* So you don't miss an episode!
This Week's Encouraging Episode with Jackie and Lauren!
Leaving a Legacy of Faith for Generations to Come
As a Christian and a mom, I often think about what kind of legacy I’ll be leaving when the Lord decides it’s time to call me home. How have I been able to impact the lives of others with the short amount of time I have here? How will my kids' lives impact others by how well I’ve loved and been an example to them? Am I doing too much or not enough? Well, my guests this week are going to talk about just this. Jackie Green and her daughter, Lauren McAfee, are on the show talking about their new book, Only One Life: How a Woman’s Every Day Shapes an Eternal Legacy.
I really can’t emphasize how much I’ve loved this book! They knocked it out of the park. What I loved best is that they aren’t just talking about theoretical legacy leavers. They are giving us biblical, historical, and current examples of women who have been world changers — including the women in their own family! Now, you may have heard of their family before, the Green family. Maybe you just didn’t put two and two together when I first introduced them. Well, have you ever heard of the store Hobby Lobby? I’m pretty sure you have. The Christian owned company that found itself in the spotlight for standing up for their faith—not to mention all of their amazing merchandise. Don’t laugh, but we just got our first Hobby Lobby in San Diego a couple of years ago and I’ve just never made it over to one until recently. I figured I had to go in and see what all the fuss was about. Oh, my goodness!! I have a new favorite store and I don’t care if I have to drive a little out of my way to get to it! So, fun!
Okay, I’m getting sidetracked now. Ha! Well, the Green family has quite an incredible backstory to how Hobby Lobby came to be — and how their entire family has been impacted by their family’s faith legacy. Plus, they are continuing in their grandparents’ footsteps and leaving their own legacy by pouring out their hearts on their passion project, the newly opened Museum of the Bible in Washington DC. I really want to go back to DC to check it out.
I can’t wait for you to listen in and hear more from Jackie and Lauren. It’s so fun having a mom-daughter team on the show, too. I got to ask Lauren about how she saw her parents’ faith impact her life and her siblings' lives. This is going to be a good one!! Oh, and if you love reading missionary stories, you are going to LOVE this book!!
I hope you are so encouraged by this conversation with Jackie Green and Lauren McAfee!
Quotes & Highlights from the Show!
Here are a few fun quotes from this episode. Please feel free to “click to tweet” (below) or share the images below on social media.
We need to live life through the lens of what God deems as important, not what the world deems important. — Lauren McAfeeClick To Tweet
Fun Highlights from the Show
- Lauren and Jackie both live in Oklahoma City. I love Lauren’s love story — she married her high school sweetheart and they’ve been married almost nine years! Not only is she a corporate ambassador for Hobby Lobby, she is also (with her husband) going through a Ph.D. program — wow!
- Jackie also married her high school sweetheart–and they’ve been married for 33 1/2 years! She and her husband, Steve, have been heavily involved in the launch of the Museum of the Bible in Washington DC that opened last year.
- Guys, I am really enjoying Only One Life! With the podcast, I get sent a lot of books and this one is just so good — definitely one that I have been recommending to all my friends! I asked Jackie and Lauren what the inspiration behind this book was and what made them want to write this book together.
- Legacy is so important. So often we as women wear the badge of multitasking with pride. I asked Jackie and Lauren for some tips on how women can live more intentional in their day-to-day lives with a legacy mindset.
- One thing that I thought was so unique about Only One Life was that Jackie and Lauren profiled 36 women — from the Bible, history, and modern day heroes, too — and tied it to character qualities. Lauren shared what she thought was the common threads of these legacy creators had.
- There are so many incredible women in history. Jackie and Lauren featured thirty-six of them, but I really wanted to know how they chose these thirty-six!
- I asked Lauren specifically about the legacy left by the women in her family who have come before, and how that has impacted her life today. I love the story of Lauren’s grandfather — the founder of Hobby Lobby and the only one of his siblings who didn’t go into full-time ministry. Lauren shares the story of how his parents were really worried about him because he wasn’t in ministry — Ha!
- I ask how Lauren and Jackie would encourage those women who are the legacy starters — those that are the first believers in their home that doesn’t really have a spiritual legacy behind them.
- Busyness is the enemy of legacy. I asked how do we balance the busyness that is distracting us and the busyness of doing His work that He’s called us to do.
- Not only is the Green family involved in Museum of the Bible, but also in Hobby Lobby. I asked them to share a little about those big steps of faith that they've had to take as a family working on all of these amazing projects and opportunities.
This week's listener question was such a powerful one! I loved Lauren and Jackie's answers to Jeanette's question:
- What insights can you give the younger generation in standing up for their beliefs as a Christian?
Also Mentioned in this Episode
- The amazing Skill Trek!! Be sure to check out more information on our wonderful sponsor for Season 5! Skill Trek helps prepare kids and young adults for life with real skills. They have a comprehensive library of over 500 life skills and counting! You can get 15% off an annual membership with the coupon code: CLOVER15 (coupon expires June 30th).
- This week PrepDish is back! PrepDish is a healthy subscription-based meal planning service! Y’all know how I love meal planning, and they will do it all for you! Not only will they send you a grocery list, but they will also send you prep-ahead instructions so your meals are set and ready for the week! Be sure to jump over to PrepDish and start your subscription! For being a Simply Joyful Podcast listener, you can get a free two-week PrepDish trial! Just head over to KristiClover.com/prepdish!
- The Simply Joyful Membership Site!! Don't miss all the fun things that are going on on the membership site! We are upping our game!
- We chatted a little about the work that Dave Stotts has helped with for The Museum of the Bible. You can hear more about his work in episode 58.
- We briefly mentioned the Women of Legacy event that Jackie's a part of. You can find more out about that event HERE.
A Few Other Things to Note
- My “Favorite Things” Page!! I have finally put everything in one spot for you! All my favorite books and products! I hope you'll check it out at KristiClover.com/FavoriteThings
- Join our Facebook Community, too! Visit with other Simply Joyful fans + weigh in on questions for our guests! Your question might just be used in the podcast.
- Are you needing help getting healthy for summer? I didn’t mention in this episode, but I have a weight loss program that I love called Optavia! I’m a health coach with them. If you are interested in learning more about that and my special coaching program, just head HERE for more info.
…& don't forget to grab yourself a mug!
Whether you are a coffee or tea drinker, you will love this adorable Simply Joyful Mug! The back is equally inspiring with Nehemiah 8:10 written out. When you get your Simply Joyful Podcast mug, be sure to take a picture of it and use #SimplyJoyfulPodcast or #SimplyJoyfulMug. I'd love to see them!
Check them out HERE!
Help Get the Word Out…
My prayer is that this podcast would be a blessing to all who hear it. If you enjoy this podcast, it would be such a blessing to have you “Subscribe” to this podcast on iTunes or Stitcher and leave me a rating and review. This helps the podcast to rank in iTunes and be more “visible” for people searching for new podcasts to listen to. If you wanted to share this episode with friends or on social media, I've created several great images that are share-worthy. Thanks!
How to Listen to The Simply Joyful Podcast!
If you are new to the concept of listening to podcasts, then “Wow!” are you in for a treat. It's kind of like an OnDemand radio station. They are so easy to listen to when you are on the go running errands or shuttling kids or just getting projects done around the house. My favorite time to listen to my favorite podcasts is while I'm out for a walk or folding laundry.
1) Subscribe to the Podcast! You won't miss an episode when you subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher. You can always access the podcast from either of these venues by searching for “Simply Joyful Podcast.”
2) Listen on your Phone! This is my preferred method of listening. If you have an iDevice (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch), then you can listen on Apple's purple podcast app that comes on your device. If you have a non-iDevice, then Stitcher Radio is great to use. You can easily search for podcasts, subscribe, and — my favorite part — speed up the audio.
3) Listen right here on my Website! Super simple! All you have to do is just click on the play button on the podcast player located at the top of this post.
A Special Thanks to…
Rend Collective for allowing me to use their incredible song “The Joy of the Lord is My Strength.” This song has so much special meaning to me and it highlights the theme verse for my podcast — Nehemiah 8:10. Be sure to check out their music! They are such a fun band to listen to…and to see live.
Connect with Jackie Green…
Jackie Green, co-founder of Museum of the Bible, is a full-time homemaker who relishes her roles of wife, mother to six children, mother-in-law, and “Gigi” to four grandchildren. Married to Steve for more than 30 years, Jackie actively supports him in his role as president of Hobby Lobby and chairman of the board of Museum of the Bible.
Be sure to visit her site as well at www.onlyonelifebook.com.
Connect with Lauren McAfee…
Lauren Green McAfee is a speaker, writer, connector and coffee enthusiast with a heart to engage others in the Bible. While pursuing her graduate degrees in pastoral counseling and theology, Lauren worked at Museum of the Bible from its founding days, until its opening in Washington DC. Today, she works at Hobby Lobby as Corporate Ambassador and is pursuing a Ph.D. in Ethics and Public Policy. Lauren and her husband Michael live in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
Here's a sweet picture of the Green Siblings!
Connect with Kristi…
I hope you enjoyed this week's podcast! My prayer is always that you will be blessed and encouraged by each episode.
Blessings and joy,