This delicious banana bread is so moist! You will love it. Plus it’s gluten free! Doesn’t that make the chocolate chips healthier?
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c. buttermilk (or sour milk)
- 1 1/4 c. mashed bananas (approx. 3 bananas)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 c. oat flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (note: you can use half nutmeg & half cinnamon if you’d like)
- 1/2 c. (or more) chocolate chips (I guess this can be optional…but they are so good)
- Optional: 1/2 c. chopped nuts
- Optional: Use butterscotch pieces instead of chocolate chips!
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Cream the sugar & butter together in a mixer. Add eggs, buttermilk, & bananas next and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients together (except the chips and nuts).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix and stir until just combined! This is the key!! Don’t over mix!!
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips (or butterscotch pieces) and the nuts, if you are going for perfection.
- Be sure to sprinkle some chocolate chips and nuts on top each muffin (see my notes!)
- If making muffins, then place muffin cups in your muffin pan and fill cups to about 2/3 full. Bake muffins for about 20-25 minutes. Check with a toothpick to see if they are done.
- If making loaves, spray two small loaf pans with cooking spray. Divid the batter between the two loaves. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Sometimes I make one monster loaf, but my bake time significantly increases when I do this.
- Cool for a few minutes before devouring them. Try not to burn your tongue.
One fun tip when making these muffins, or any muffin recipe, is to sprinkle some of your hidden, yummy morsels on the top of each muffin or loaf. I tend to divid my batter in order to make different combinations of flavors. I add almonds to some and walnuts to others. So, I simple sprinkle some chocolate chips and walnuts or butterscotch and almonds on top so I have a visual reminder of what awaits my tastebuds. This works great when you have guests with peanut allergies. You will be sure to not mix up your nut versus nut free varieties. Plus it looks really pretty!
HEALTHY OPTION: (well, healthier option…)
Use 3/4c. coconut sugar, organic instead of 1c. white sugar
Use 1/2c. refined coconut oil instead of butter
Be sure to add nuts to your mix, too, for added protein
& you may want to skip adding the chocolate morsels.