The presents have been opened, the yummy food has been consumed, the happy smiles and afterglow are in the faces of the children…and EVERYTHING is a disaster. And let's face it, you're exhausted. Yup, we've all been there. As a mom of 5 sometimes the aftermath of the fun can be overwhelming! I was just featured on CBS 8, Morning Extra where I had a great time sharing some tips to help with cleaning up Christmas!
Master the Christmas Mayhem
- First, enjoy the holiday, don’t feel like you need to pack away everything right after Christmas. You will want to be aware of when your tree pick up is scheduled in your neighborhood if you have a real tree.
- Christmas is the perfect time to do a little (or big) decluttering project. Encourage your children to go out with the old and in with the new.
- The most important thing to do is to:
- Find new “homes” for all new toys and gifts >> Don't forget to LABEL!!
- Teach kids where their new things go.
- Throw away all gift wrap and tear down boxes for recycling
- Bless others by donating or giving away less used clothes and toys
Storing Holiday Decor Tips:
- Take pictures of how you decorated, so you remember where things go next year. As much as you think you will remember, you will forget!
- Be strategic with what you will keep: don’t keep storing items you are no longer using to decorate or that are falling apart. There will be new items to get next year!
- Use CLEAR BINS when you are cleaning up Christmas (if possible): use a labeler or print up what you put in the bin (makes cleaning up year after year easier and will help you remember what gets put away in what)
- Take advantage of after Christmas sales to stock up on new decor for next year
- Don’t let traditions stop when you are cleaning up Christmas: listen to Christmas music as you clean up, take a picture by the tree and order a puzzle for New Year's Eve.
- Enjoy every second of the time with your loved ones–be present and in the moment!
Here are a few tools to help you out while you are cleaning up Christmas!
* For tips on how to “Get organized for 2020”: follow me on YouTube & Instagram @KristiClover