Years ago, I saw Rachel Ray make a spicy chicken recipe using bricks to flatten the meat as they cooked. It was good, but it was a bit complicated and messy to clean up. Plus we are not big fans of overly spicy food. So, I knew I had to make some changes.
After making this dish a few times, I finally mastered a technique and flavor that you are sure to love. I hope you enjoy this delicious, healthy, and easy meal! (& if you do like spicy chicken, then just add more pepper flakes and maybe some diced banana pepper rings.)
I like to make a big green, leafy salad tossed with a light vinaigrette to go with this meal. I also serve it with rice pilaf (I use a box from Trader Joe's) or with yummy, crusty bread. Be sure to see my tip about how to make your bread extra yummy!
- 4-6 Chicken breasts, boneless & skinless
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- 5+ Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (or more if you want an extra kick)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Handful of freshly chopped parsley
- Place 1-2 chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap (to keep the mess to a minimum). Using a mallet, flatten chicken to 3/4 – 1 in. thickness. This is especially therapeutic after long hard days. 😉
- Repeat with remaining chicken breasts
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and pepper (I know it says to taste, but don't taste yet — it is raw) 😉
- Mix dijon mustard, olive oil, and red pepper flakes.
- Spoon globs of the dijon mixture on one side of chicken breasts and spread around.
- Place chicken, dijon coated side down, on a hot grill or griddle and cook for about 5-8 minutes
- Before you flip the chicken, add remaining dijon mix to the tops.
- Cook on the other side until chicken is cooked through.
- Place chicken on a pretty serving plate and top with freshly chopped parsley.
- (Okay, now you can taste the chicken to see if it needs more salt or pepper)
NEW TO RAISING CLOVERS?
We’d love to have you join us! Simple tips, easy recipes, practical advice, & loads of encouragement — just what every woman needs. Simply click here or below to get added to our email list.
As a subscriber you also get great “subscriber only” freebies like my popular Weekly Meal Planner, Preschool Activity List, & my new article “Seven Sanity Savers for Every Woman” — as well as free other printables not found on the site. I hope you’ll join us!