How to Organize Your Homeschool Curriculum
5 Simple Systems to Help Your Homeschool Run Smoother!
When I first started planning to homeschool, I felt overwhelmed! So much to learn in so little time. I was desperate to figure out how to best set up our homeschool — & how to make it run smoothly!
I have tried various systems through the years as we've been homeschooling. Some things worked, other things flopped big time, & other things just needed a bit of tweaking. 😉
Well, I've finally found a great way to organize our homeschool curriculum. I know you will love it! You can always tweak it to make it work for your family if you need to.
Organizing Your Homeschool Curriculum
I've created a video that walks you through all 5 of my homeschool organizational systems. I'll briefly list them below along with the supplies you will need to get things set up.
Can I just say for the record that System #1 is going to rock your world? Well, it is! I've shared this with so many friends, & we all agree NOTHING makes our homeschool run better than this.
So, are you ready? I know so many of you have been asking for this post and video! I'm so excited to share it with you!
Okay, without further adieu — Here is System #1! Be sure to watch the video below for the full details!
#1: MY CRATE SYSTEM
Overview: You are going to love this! Basically, I organize our ENTIRE year in this crate! I sort it by week for each kiddo. I assign each child a color (I color code my kids with so many things). Then, are you ready for this? I tear apart almost all of our workbooks! Shocking! I know! I don't care if it's bound. I tear it apart and section it out by the appropriate number for pages for each week! Trust me, you'll thank me later!
- Crate designed for hanging folders
- Hanging Folders
- 3 Tab Cutless File Folders — 1 box per color (kid)
- Extra Multi-colored File Folder
#2: MY BINDER SYSTEM
Overview: I love how this system has been refined through the years. I think I finally have it the way I like it. My binder has two sets of subject dividers. The first set is for any daily work that needs to get separated out for the system above. I usually have my kids divid up their weekly work on their own. I obviously help out the younger ones. The second set of dividers is for any subjects that I want stored in the binder. This section is for final drafts or special work. Our history notebook pages get stored here.
- Large D-Ring Binder
- Pocket Tab Dividers: 5 Subject (for daily work) & 8 Subject (for other work)
- Page Protectors — These are AWESOME for creating “re-usable” work. You just stick a worksheet inside and use a dry erase pen! Great to use when you want to have subsequent children use the worksheets.
- Binder Pouch
#3: MY CHECKLIST SYSTEM
Overview: I got so tired of not having a checklist that work perfectly for all the “hodgepodge” curriculum that I use, so I created my own checklist this year. Be sure to watch the video to see and hear how I put together each checklist & have it bound. I add lots of fun things to it. The fun “Get to Know Me” sheets can be found on this post. Note: I usually print my weekly checklists off on colored paper for each kiddo. I forgot this year and didn't feel like wasting ink, so I just used subject separator tabs (see link below).
Materials: Well, this one I just created myself. I'll try to figure out how to create some printables for you that don't require customization. 🙂
- Binding System (or office supply store)
- Binder Cover Sheet & Backing (for added protection)
- Subject Separator Tabs
#4: MY HANGING FILES SYSTEM
Overview: This system is how we store the bulk of our core curriculum. The key thing that I mention in the video for this system is that I put one file folder in each hang folder for tests. This way at the end of the year I can just toss the day-to-day work & just keep the tests.
- Hanging Folders (I usually get the colored folders for this system)
- Colored Tabs for File Folders (this links to one color, but there are a variety there, too)
- Multi-colored File Folder (you can use what is left from your extra box)
#5: MY FOLDER SYSTEM
Overview: This is a simple system. It works great for younger kids. I separate out work by subject not day in this system. This is a personal preference. You can try it out by day or subject and go with whatever works for you.
Check Out My New Homeschool Organization Course!
Here is the Video That Makes This ALL Come to Life!
See More of My Homeschool Organization Posts Here!
- First Day of School Fun!
- Our Homeschool Curriculum Revealed 2015-2016
- Planning Out Your Homeschool Curriculum: How to Create a Course of Study
- The End of Our School Year & The Curriculum We Used
- Watch more homeschool videos on my YouTube channel
- Visit my Simply Joyful Homeschool Page!
- Check out my Homeschool Resources HERE!
**Join me on Facebook Live for Homeschool Q & A most Fridays @12pm PST! **
Follow Me on Pinterest for Homeschool Ideas