Welcome to the Simply Joyful Podcast
Episode #010 with Amber Lia
Let’s be honest. Mommy anger is a real struggle for so many of us. I didn’t know I was capable of being so frustrated and angry until I had kids. My buttons get pushed, I’m sleep deprived, and exhausted…and the angry comes.
There have been times when I can feel it coming and try to fight it, but I end up snapping at my kids anyway. Other times it sneaks up on me and comes out when I’m not expecting it.
I’m a firm believer in the fact that God uses our kids to refine us. I may not have known that I’d struggle with anger, but God did. He’s not surprised by my sin…not one bit. I will be a work-in-progress until the day He calls me home. He just keeps offering me His grace, forgiveness, and His self control.
I actually wrote about my struggle with anger in my post called Finding Joy When You’re Angry. I hope you’ll check it out. I think you’ll really like the five tips I have in there for finding joy when you feel like getting angry. I’m not a perfect mom, but I am trying to be the best mom I can be. And I’m really trying to learn how to respond in more loving ways when my kids trigger my anger.
Speaking of “triggers,” my guest today is none other than my sweet friend, Amber Lia. Amber is the co-author of the book Triggers: Exchanging Parents' Angry Reactions for Gentle Biblical Responses. She wrote Triggers along side Wendy Speake as Wendy and I mentioned in Episode #008. Amber is married to her husband Guy, who by the way went to Steve and my alma mater. They’ve been married for ten years and have four boys. She and Guy Guy work as a team in both their work as co-producers (they own a production company called Storehouse Media Group) and in their family life!
Amber and I first met at Bloggers Night Out at the CHEA homeschool convention a couple of years ago. We were both on the panel for the event. (Now I actually organize the event…so come if you are CA in July come on out!)
On a “Simply” & “Joyful” side note…
I asked Amber about what she does to simplify her life and she has a great response! She gives several quick ideas to truly save time. I know you are going to like them!
This is a sweet picture of Amber and me at a writer's conference in San Diego (at Wendy Speake's house!)
Words to Remember
Here are a few fun quotes from this episode. Please feel free to “click to tweet” (below) or share the images below on social media.
In This Episode
In this episode, Amber and I are going to get real and share about how mommy anger has affect our lives. Amber has some incredible tips for how to manage mommy anger and where it comes from.
I just know you are going to be so incredibly encouraged in this episode with Amber!
Highlights from This Show…
* Amber and I talk about her new book, Triggers: Parents' Angry Reactions for Gentle Biblical Responses, which she co-authored with Wendy Speake. This incredible book about mommy anger was compiled from their time working with their online ministry called No More Angry MOB (Moms of Boys).
* Mommy anger is a real thing! Amber thought that is was only her “real thing.” Then she learned that she wasn't alone.
* Triggers chronicles her journey through learning how to turn to God with her anger. It has given hope and has transformed thousands of families.
* Many moms get trapped in the cycle of anger and aren't sure what to do.
* The book goes over 31 common triggers that parents have. They divide it into external triggers and internal triggers. Amber Lia shares overarching tips and advice for moms who are struggling with anger.
“In a practical sense, do not set your expectations too high for yourself or for your kids. Give them a long, long leash to learn whatever it is you’re trying to teach and train them.”
— Amber Lia
* It's easy to feel alone in your struggles with anger…because we don't typically broadcast it when we lose it. It doesn't really look good on our Facebook highlight reel. Ha! However, when Wendy and Amber started this No More Angry MOB Facebook group…they had over 1,000 moms join in the first week.
“There's a lot of people out there who have nowhere to turn, because they are embarrassed and don't want to let people know that they get angry — and that they don't know what to do about it.”
— Amber Lia
“If we're not letting people know our weaknesses, then we're missing out on a community that can help us grow toward change.”
— Amber Lia
* Amber and I both talk about the importance of helping your child come up with a solution to the whatever problem they are repeatedly having.
“I want to know my kids. I want to know how they think. I want to know what matters to them, what’s important to them. Each of their personalities is different. Getting their input and getting them to take some ownership for these issues is a loving thing to do.”
— Amber Lia
* I ask Amber what it’s like working in the entertainment industry as a Christian. She responds by asking for prayer. So, I wanted to ask you to partner with me in praying for the Lia family. Amber and Guy are in the “thick of it” being that they are in the film industry. Having a Christian, conservation company in Hollywood definitely stirs up spiritual attack. So, please be praying for them as they seek to bless others with great quality content. Thanks!
Books Mentioned…(& movies)
(This is the book I was reading that I mentioned in the beginning.)
“A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”
Another Great “Tool” to Mention…
Temper Tool Kit by Lisa-Jo Baker is incredible. This is a video course that has “a collection of practical strategies, honest stories, and Biblical resources from one mom to another to help you take control of your temper BEFORE you lose it.” Sounds great, right. Check it our HERE.
— Every podcast episode will have all the highlights and links from each episode (just like this) on my website. So, come on over to the blog to find the show notes.
— Be sure to grab your FREE copy of my book, Sanity Savers for Moms, by joining our Simply Joyful community. It's a great way to keep in touch…and get subscriber only freebies like my book. Click HERE to get the book and join!
— Make sure you head over to listen to my other interviews HERE! I know you will love these episodes!
Help Get the Word Out…
My prayer is that this podcast would be a blessing to all who hear it. If you enjoy this podcast, it would be such a blessing to have you “Subscribe” to this podcast on iTunes or Stitcher and leave me a rating and review. This helps the podcast to rank in iTunes and be more “visible” for people searching for new podcasts to listen to. If you wanted to share this episode with friends or on social media, I've created several great images that are share-worthy. Thanks!
My “Thank You” for Your Rating & Review on iTunes or Stitcher
If you do subscribe, rate, & review this podcast in iTunes or Stitcher, I'd love to thank you by giving you my new Sanity Savers for Moms Coloring Book for FREE! Just leave the review and email me, and I'll send you a coupon code to access the coloring book!
Thank you so much for helping us get the word out about the Simply Joyful Podcast!
How to Listen to The Simply Joyful Podcast!
If you are new to the concept of listening to podcasts, then “Wow!” are you in for a treat. It's kind of like an OnDemand radio station. They are so easy to listen to when you are on the go running errands or shuttling kids or just getting projects done around the house. My favorite time to listen to my favorite podcasts is while I'm out for a walk or folding laundry.
1) Subscribe to the Podcast! You won't miss an episode when you subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher. You can always access the podcast from either of these venues by searching for “Simply Joyful Podcast.”
2) Listen on your Phone! This is my preferred method of listening. If you have an iDevice (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch), then you can listen on Apple's purple podcast app that comes on your device. If you have a non-iDevice, then Stitcher Radio is great to use. You can easily search for podcasts, subscribe, and — my favorite part — speed up the audio.
3) Listen right here on my Website! Super simple! All you have to do is just click on the play button on the podcast player located at the top of this post.
A Special Thanks to…
Rend Collective for allowing me to use their incredible song “The Joy of the Lord is My Strength.” This song has so much special meaning to me and it highlights the theme verse for my podcast — Nehemiah 8:10. Be sure to check out their music! They are such a fun band to listen to…and to see live.
Connect with Amber…
Girly-girl to the core, Amber finds a lot of humor in the fact that she has a “TESTOSTER-HOME” of four active males…and one new little one! She and her husband Guy work as a team in both their work as co-producers (they own a production company called Storehouse Media Group) and in their family life! They’ve been married ten years and have four great gifts in their four great sons who they are raising to be knights. Amber blogs at Mother of Knights. She also has her Master’s Degree in Leadership and Educational Administration and used to work as a high school English teacher.
…& here's a little picture of her four boys…including their newest addition! (Aren't they all so cute?!)
Connect with Kristi…
I hope you enjoyed this week's podcast! My prayer is always that you will be blessed and encouraged by each episode.
Blessings and joy,