Welcome to the Simply Joyful Podcast
Episode #16 with Lisa Whittle
Mommy fear is a real thing. I have struggled for years with fear and anxiety. I've learned how to combat it with God's Word and lots of prayer. In fact the timing of this podcast interview with Lisa was so amazing, since I had just written a guest post about mommy fear for The Better Mom. I had Lisa's book sitting on my desk waiting it's turn to be read for the podcast interview…and I had no idea it was about putting “your warrior boots on” to fight fear. See, amazing.
So, I just know this episode is for you if you have ever struggled with fear, anxiety, or worry. I hope you are so encouraged…and I hope you will learn to put your warrior boots on, too.
On a “Simply” & “Joyful” side note…
Lisa talks about how she brings simplicity to her life by saying “no” in a healthy way. She’s learned to rest in a healthy no and that has carried on into her family. Be sure to listen to all she has to say about this on the show.
Get ready for a great interview — and get your own Simply Joyful Podcast mug HERE!
The Simply Joyful Podcast Giveaway!
Don't Miss This!
June 12th – 20th
The final days! To celebrate the start of “Season Two” of the podcast, we are having an AWESOME giveaway! ALL of my guests from “Season One” have contributed either a book or a course to the giveaway. I'm so excited! Be sure to check out all the various ways you can sign up to win. I'm even giving away my super adorable Simply Joyful Podcast Mugs! So, check out all the details HERE!
In This Episode
In this episode Lisa Whittle and I address “mommy fear.” Your know, that constant state of anxiety moms have when it comes to protecting our children. We share stories of spiritual warfare that have happened in our lives and other people's lives. We also talk about Lisa’s book, Put Your Warrior Boots On: Walking Jesus Strong, Once and For All, which is largely about the fear women wrestle with and the tools and techniques to combat these thoughts and fears. I just know you will be so encouraged by this episode!
Here are a few fun quotes from this episode. Please feel free to “click to tweet” (below) or share the images below on social media.
Highlights from This Show…
* Lisa shares the story about when a woman told her that she felt Lisa was fearless after listening to her speak. Lisa says she was deeply impacted upon hearing this feedback because she felt anything but fearless. She discusses how she felt God was helping her to see that He wasn’t defining her as “fearless,” but He was calling her to let go of her fear and rise to her spiritual potential.
* I mention that I sometimes feel like the more anxious or worried I am the better prepared I might be if anything horrible might happen. I literally play out scenarios in my mind. Listening to Lisa helped me to realize that I need to rise up out of this mentality of trying to be brave or strong enough and just let God be present.
* Lisa talks about the time she made a list of everything she could do if she were brave enough and how it made her feel even worse.
* She says that we don’t know what the word “brave” means anymore. We call cancer patients and soldiers overseas brave. Yet, we define people's menial bold decisions, like dying their hair a different color, brave.
“We think that if we can control everything, then we are safe. The problem is that we live in a John 16:33 world that says ‘In this world there will be trouble.’ That’s not an ‘if’ statement, that’s a ‘when’ statement.” --Lisa WhittleClick To Tweet
“Take heart, for I have overcome the world.”
— John 16:33
* Lisa talks about how the safest and the best place to be is not in our schedules, and it’s not in our controlling things, but it’s in the care of God.
“Those who dwell in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.”
— Psalm 99:1
“Put your warrior boots on so that you will be as prepared as possible to walk through this life strong, and to also teach your kids to walk through life strong.” --Lisa WhittleClick To Tweet
“The Bible is a book of preparation.”
* Lisa tells us about the 3 types of warrior boots that she brings up in her book. Lisa says that warrior boots is an analogy of strength: Boots of Standard, Boots of Strength, and Boots of Trust. She brings up Deuteronomy 30, about how life is all about choice and not feelings.
“I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to Hs voice and hold fast to Him…”
* I ask Lisa to tell us more about her term “God-ish living.” Lisa said she came up with the term when a friend asked her what she thought the church’s biggest problem was. She says she immediately remembered the verse from 2 Timothy 3:5, “…having a form of godliness, but denying its power,” and the term was born.
“We lack that supernatural power because we don’t have the depth that it takes to really walk through this world strong.”
* She says God wants us to be holy and godlike because He knows that’s what helps and fortifies our life.
* The Bible tells us to “stand firm and hold fast to what you believe,” (2 These. 2:15) but we can’t do that when we’re lying to ourselves and saying “I’m good enough.” Good without God is nothing.
* Lisa talks about rising up as moms. She says mommy anger has a spiritual component, a righteous anger against Satan in which she tells him that he can’t control her fears and her kids.
“We’ve got to remember that this is a fight and we have the most powerful God on our side.” --Lisa WhittleClick To Tweet
“Ephesians 1 talks about how God is the highest authority in this entire world, in this universe, and He is never going to relinquish His title…we are to walk through this world with the understanding of the covering of that authority.”
* I told a story about a friend who was a missionary in India who literally cast demons out of people. She shared about how those people said that they could “see” the power of God in people, but could also tell that most Christians weren't aware they have this power. It made me realize that I should be living my life with the awareness that the Holy Spirit truly lives in me and that I have great potential through Him.
“Choose God for your sanity, honestly. Choose God for your stability... if I didn’t have Jesus, I wouldn’t be a sane person...I wouldn’t be able to have peace and I wouldn’ be able to have joy.” --Lisa WhittleClick To Tweet
“For you did not receive a Spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you receive the Spirit of sonship, and by Him we cry ‘Abba, Father.'”
…Help Support the Simply Joyful Podcast!
Anytime you purchase things from my site and my store, it blesses the podcast. The Simply Joyful Podcast is put together not only by me, but my team of amazing and talented assistants! As I prayed about starting this podcast I knew I'd need help to maintain it in order to keep balance in my family life. So after episode #12, I hired three people to help me put all the elements together for this podcast. It's been a tremendous blessing.
When you get your Simply Joyful Podcast mug, be sure to take a picture of it and use #SimplyJoyfulPodcast or #SimplyJoyfulMug. I'd love to see them!
Let's Get the Word Out…
My prayer is that this podcast would be a blessing to all who hear it. If you enjoy this podcast, it would be such a blessing to have you “Subscribe” to this podcast on iTunes or Stitcher and leave me a rating and review. This helps the podcast to rank in iTunes and be more “visible” for people searching for new podcasts to listen to. If you wanted to share this episode with friends or on social media, I've created several great images that are share-worthy. Thanks!
How to Listen to The Simply Joyful Podcast!
If you are new to the concept of listening to podcasts, then “Wow!” are you in for a treat. It's kind of like an OnDemand radio station. They are so easy to listen to when you are on the go running errands or shuttling kids or just getting projects done around the house. My favorite time to listen to my favorite podcasts is while I'm out for a walk or folding laundry.
1) Subscribe to the Podcast! You won't miss an episode when you subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher. You can always access the podcast from either of these venues by searching for “Simply Joyful Podcast.”
2) Listen on your Phone! This is my preferred method of listening. If you have an iDevice (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch), then you can listen on Apple's purple podcast app that comes on your device. If you have a non-iDevice, then Stitcher Radio is great to use. You can easily search for podcasts, subscribe, and — my favorite part — speed up the audio.
3) Listen right here on my Website! Super simple! All you have to do is just click on the play button on the podcast player located at the top of this post.
A Special Thanks to…
Rend Collective for allowing me to use their incredible song “The Joy of the Lord is My Strength.” This song has so much special meaning to me and it highlights the theme verse for my podcast — Nehemiah 8:10. Be sure to check out their music! They are such a fun band to listen to…and to see live.
Connect with Lisa Whittle…
Lisa Whittle is a leader, author and speaker with a heart and passion to communicate one thing: Jesus is everything. She is the author of six books, including her latest Put Your Warrior Boots On, and a sought out Bible teacher for her wit and bold, bottom line approach. She is a wife and mother of three who currently resides in North Carolina.
Connect with Kristi…
I hope you enjoyed this week's podcast! My prayer is always that you will be blessed and encouraged by each episode.
Blessings and joy,