Welcome to the Simply Joyful Podcast
Episode #38 with Anne Bogel
Welcome to a very special November!
We have such a great line up for you this November! We are calling it “A November to Remember” — we have 8 episodes coming up for you — and 8 amazing giveaways all from our wonderful sponsor for this month: DAYSPRING!
Be sure to listen to Anne's episode! — but don't forget to get signed-up for our 5th giveaway of the month:
* Be sure to check out “Kristi's Favorites” page over on Dayspring! Such fun!
Okay! Now onto this week's encouraging episode!…
How Understanding Personality Changes Everything
— with my special guest Anne Bogel
Many of you probably know Anne Bogel from her very popular blog Modern Mrs. Darcy. She's also the host of the podcast What Should I Read Next?, but her new book, Reading People, literally changed everything for me. I love this book. I've read several sections of her book several times since doing this episode. It really helped me understand myself better — and my kids! It unlocked the mystery of why we are the way we are.
I was blown away by her book. All of the personality tests out there have always confused me. Anne's book really dumbed it down for me. Ha! It’s a very simplistic and straightforward way of looking at personality types. She does a great job of explaining all the types and why it's important for you to understand these aspects of yourself and other people. She also goes into detail on how to take this knowledge and interact with others.
I was blown away by her book. All of the personality tests out there have always confused me. Anne's book really dumbed it down for me. It's a very simplistic way of looking at personality types, and she does a great job of explaining it and why it's important for you to understand these aspects of yourself and other people. She also goes into detail on how to take this knowledge and interact with others.
I'm so excited for you to listen in with my conversation with Anne! She is amazing.
A “Simply Joyful” tip from Anne…
Get ready for a great interview — get your own Simply Joyful Podcast mug HERE!
Highlights from the Show. . .
Here are a few fun quotes from this episode. Please feel free to “click to tweet” or share the images below on social media.
- Anne shares about being a professional book enthusiast and her dream job.
- Anne's new book took me by surprise since she's known as a reader of books, not necessarily a reader of people. So, Anne talks about how she first started learning about how to “read” other people's personalities.
- Anne made me laugh when she described how she “got it wrong” the first time she took personality tests. She then explained how to correctly take a personality test — specifically we chat about the Myers Briggs personality test — and how to get the best results.
- It was Anne's chapter on highly sensitive people that got me hook, line, and sinker! I'm extremely extroverted but was perplexed by my introvert tendencies. When I read about the highly sensitive person, things finally clicked for me and started to understand why I felt this deep need for quiet at the end of the day!
- Anne's shares about her favorite personality frameworks.
- Anne explains how knowing your own personality style, and that of others, helps you interact with them.
- We also discuss how to adapt to other personality styles.
- I loved hearing (and reading) about how knowing personality types has impacted Anne's family.
- You can't have a podcast interview with the host of “What Should I Read Next?” and not ask her what she's what currently reading. We also talked about some of her all-time favorite books.
- I told Anne that I had a bunch of credits that I needed to use on Audible. So, we talked about good audio books. I now have several new books in my cue now. Thanks, Anne!
I wanted to open peoples eyes to how personality differences come together. —Anne BogelClick To Tweet
Your personality is part of who you are, but it doesn't in any way determine what you choose to do. —Anne BogelClick To Tweet
…& don't forget to grab yourself a mug!
Whether you are a coffee or tea drinker, you will love this adorable Simply Joyful Mug! The back is equally inspiring with Nehemiah 8:10 written out. When you get your Simply Joyful Podcast mug, be sure to take a picture of it and use #SimplyJoyfulPodcast or #SimplyJoyfulMug. I'd love to see them!
Check them out HERE!
Help Get the Word Out…
My prayer is that this podcast would be a blessing to all who hear it. If you enjoy this podcast, it would be such a blessing to have you “Subscribe” to this podcast on iTunes or Stitcher and leave me a rating and review. This helps the podcast to rank in iTunes and be more “visible” for people searching for new podcasts to listen to. If you wanted to share this episode with friends or on social media, I've created several great images that are share-worthy. Thanks!
How to Listen to The Simply Joyful Podcast!
If you are new to the concept of listening to podcasts, then “Wow!” are you in for a treat. It's kind of like an OnDemand radio station. They are so easy to listen to when you are on the go running errands or shuttling kids or just getting projects done around the house. My favorite time to listen to my favorite podcasts is while I'm out for a walk or folding laundry.
1) Subscribe to the Podcast! You won't miss an episode when you subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher. You can always access the podcast from either of these venues by searching for “Simply Joyful Podcast.”
2) Listen on your Phone! This is my preferred method of listening. If you have an iDevice (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch), then you can listen on Apple's purple podcast app that comes on your device. If you have a non-iDevice, then Stitcher Radio is great to use. You can easily search for podcasts, subscribe, and — my favorite part — speed up the audio.
3) Listen right here on my Website! Super simple! All you have to do is just click on the play button on the podcast player located at the top of this post.
A Special Thanks to…
Rend Collective for allowing me to use their incredible song “The Joy of the Lord is My Strength.” This song has so much special meaning to me and it highlights the theme verse for my podcast — Nehemiah 8:10. Be sure to check out their music! They are such a fun band to listen to…and to see live.
Connect with Anne Bogel…
Anne Bogel is the creator of the popular blog Modern Mrs. Darcy and the podcast What Should I Read Next? Her popular book lists and reading guides have established Bogel as a tastemaker among readers, authors, and publishers. Bogel lives in Louisville, Kentucky.
Connect with Kristi…
I hope you enjoyed this week's podcast! My prayer is always that you will be blessed and encouraged by each episode.
Blessings and joy,