Welcome to the Simply Joyful Podcast
Episode #43 with Alexandra Kuykendall
Be sure to listen to Alex's episode! — but don't forget to get signed-up for our great giveaway this month:
* 4 PeachDish Holiday Feast Kits and Brunch Casseroles! *
This Week's Encouraging Episode with Alex!
Contentment at Christmas: Letting Go of Our Holiday Expectations
Today is all things Christmas! Alexandra Kuykendall is my guest today and we're going to be talking a lot about Christmas, including an experiment that she did in her home last Christmas. It was really interesting! She wrote a book all about it called Loving My Actual Christmas. Can I hear a little “Amen” out there? Too many times we look on social media and we start thinking, “Oh I wish we did this or that,” when we really need to slow down and just enjoy this season for what it is. Even if you don't get to all the traditions that you want to, take time to savor this Christmas! I want to help you to give yourself permission this season to slow down. To pick one or two things, with your family, and enjoy this Christmas fully!
I can't wait for you to hear this episode with Alexandra—and Merry Christmas!
Get ready for a great interview — get your own Simply Joyful Podcast mug HERE!
Highlights from the Show
Here are a few fun quotes from this episode. Please feel free to “click to tweet” (below) or share the images below on social media.
- Alexandra (who also goes by Alex) explains that sometimes in her life of being a mom of four girls, she sometimes just feels like a taxi driver.
- Alex is the cohost of The Open Door Sisterhood Podcast
- Why do we feel so much extra pressure around Christmas? Well, Alex and I tackle this question. Alex took a totally different approach to trying to figure out a solution to simplify her Christmas.
- The plan had been for her to write a book about her doing an experiment in relishing the season. However, when Alex's stepfather passed away the year she planned to do the experiment, it ended up adding so much more extra meaning to the experiment.
- Each week of the “Loving My Actual Christmas” experiment, Alex focused on a different theme surrounding Advent: Love, joy, peace, and hope. She also taught me what “Christmastide” was. I'd never heard that name for the 12 days following Christmas before.
- Thankfully Alex explained what a Liturgical calendar was. I was unfamiliar with the term having grown up in a Protestant church.
- Being in the moment was one of the major lessons that Alex learned during her experiment.
- Family traditions are fun, but can be create extra busyness. It's good to figure out what's most important to you and your family, so you know what to say “no” to.
- I loved hearing about some of her family's traditions while celebrating God's arrival 12 days after Christmas during Christmastide. One thing she shared was to celebrate “Boxing Day” with a twist by “sending” people love in their “boxes”: email boxes, voicemail boxes, and so forth. Very creative. I loved this idea!
- After the experiment last year, I was curious about what Christmas looks like in Alex's home this year.
Whether or not we know Jesus, we're still wired for that yearning for something deeper. —Alexandra KukendallClick To Tweet
A Simply Joyful tip from Alex! Prioritize three activities that you want to do between now and Christmas day. Do one main thing a week until Christmas. Feel free to say no to the other things.Click To Tweet
* A Few of my fun Christmas posts:
- Teaching Your Kids to Have a Giving Spirit This Christmas
- Savoring the Season — & Not Blowing Your Budget
- How to Simplify the Season — as first seen on the IEW blog!
* A Few other things mentioned:
…& don't forget to grab yourself a mug!
Whether you are a coffee or tea drinker, you will love this adorable Simply Joyful Mug! The back is equally inspiring with Nehemiah 8:10 written out. When you get your Simply Joyful Podcast mug, be sure to take a picture of it and use #SimplyJoyfulPodcast or #SimplyJoyfulMug. I'd love to see them!
Check them out HERE!
Help Get the Word Out…
My prayer is that this podcast would be a blessing to all who hear it. If you enjoy this podcast, it would be such a blessing to have you “Subscribe” to this podcast on iTunes or Stitcher and leave me a rating and review. This helps the podcast to rank in iTunes and be more “visible” for people searching for new podcasts to listen to. If you wanted to share this episode with friends or on social media, I've created several great images that are share-worthy. Thanks!
How to Listen to The Simply Joyful Podcast!
If you are new to the concept of listening to podcasts, then “Wow!” are you in for a treat. It's kind of like an OnDemand radio station. They are so easy to listen to when you are on the go running errands or shuttling kids or just getting projects done around the house. My favorite time to listen to my favorite podcasts is while I'm out for a walk or folding laundry.
1) Subscribe to the Podcast! You won't miss an episode when you subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher. You can always access the podcast from either of these venues by searching for “Simply Joyful Podcast.”
2) Listen on your Phone! This is my preferred method of listening. If you have an iDevice (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch), then you can listen on Apple's purple podcast app that comes on your device. If you have a non-iDevice, then Stitcher Radio is great to use. You can easily search for podcasts, subscribe, and — my favorite part — speed up the audio.
3) Listen right here on my Website! Super simple! All you have to do is just click on the play button on the podcast player located at the top of this post.
A Special Thanks to…
Rend Collective for allowing me to use their incredible song “The Joy of the Lord is My Strength.” This song has so much special meaning to me and it highlights the theme verse for my podcast — Nehemiah 8:10. Be sure to check out their music! They are such a fun band to listen to…and to see live.
Connect with Alexandra Kuykendall…
Alexandra Kuykendall is the author of Loving My Actual Life and The Artist's Daughter, and the cohost The Open Door Sisterhood Podcast. A popular writer and speaker for moms around the country, she is a regular contributor to MOPS International's blog, conference, and curriculum. Alexandra has been featured on Good Morning America and Focus on the Family's daily broadcast. She lives in Denver, Colorado, with her husband, Derek, and their four daughters.
Connect with Kristi…
I hope you enjoyed this week's podcast! My prayer is always that you will be blessed and encouraged by each episode.
Blessings and joy,