Welcome to the Simply Joyful Podcast
Episode #45 with Michele Cushatt
Be sure to listen to Michele's episode! — but don't forget to get signed-up for our amazing Season 3 Giveaway!
*16 Books & Gifts from our Season 3 Guests*
This Week's Encouraging Episode with Michele!
Encouragement for When You Feel Like You’re Not Enough
Why do we so often beat ourselves up? Sometimes the “mean girl” we encounter in life isn't harassing us in the real world, she's in our head. Well, today we are going to be talking about how to deal with those negative thoughts. My very special guest today is Michele Cushatt. Michele has wonderful encouragement and advice on how to deal with not only the mean-spirited thoughts that circle around in our minds but also how to handle actual comments that hurt our feelings.
Michele has quite a unique story to tell after all she's dealt with over the past several years. So often on the podcast, we talk about the importance of stepping out of our comfort zones and using the gifts and talents that God has given us. Well, what do you do when you do step out in faith — and trials happen? It can make you start doubting yourself and what God's call is.
We are covering all that today. How to “shush” the negativity in our heads and how to lean in on God's amazing strength to find the courage to keep going on. You are going to LOVE Michele and listening in to all she has to share. I really can't begin to tell you how excited I am to have her on the show today. I'm a huge fan of hers and I know you will be too after you hear today's episode.
Get ready to be blown away by this encouraging conversation with Michele!
Get ready for a great interview — get your own Simply Joyful Podcast mug HERE!
Highlights from the Show
Here are a few fun quotes from this episode. Please feel free to “click to tweet” (below) or share the images below on social media.
- Michele is a wife and a mom of (wait for it) SIX kids—ages 10 – 25. She’s a speaker and an author. Her latest book is I Am — and trust me — you guys need this book!
- We jump right in with our interview with a reader question from Tricia Goyer! Michele chats a little about her time in Africa with Tricia and about “starting over” with kids.
- We giggled as Michele shared how after raising three boys, the empty nest years were looking like the promise land! Ha! Then God changed her life with a phone call — and brought the mission field to her door.
- “Cancer isn’t something that happens to everyone, but can happen to you.” — Michele shares more about how her life was changed so dramatically after being diagnosed with cancer of the tongue — and then getting the call to take in three children.
- I shared how I remembered listening to Michael Hyatt's podcast, which she co-hosted, about her recovery from her dramatic surgery. I just about cried when I heard her on the air again. It was so incredible.
- Together we chat about hiding in today’s culture. It’s so easy — with social media, and everything needing to be “Pinterest perfect”. We need to be real. We need to step out with boldness and realize that we can’t do things without His strength.
- Michele shares about how her book, I Am, came about and what started out as a book on identity for teenage girls, became a book and a message Michele realized she needed to hear herself.
- Michele gives tips to quiet the negative voice in our heads — and while it’s hard with all that bombards us, we can overcome it with His strength and His help. My favorite tip of Michele’s is to combat these negative thoughts with the truth of the Scriptures.
- We also chat about what to do when the comments aren’t from us, aren’t internal, Michele shares a heartbreaking story of when someone’s good intentions felt more like digging a knife into a raw wound. The comment was so hurtful, but she dealt with it — both inward and outward — with grace.
Everyone is walking around with a disability. We just might not be able to see it. — Michele CushattClick To Tweet
Give yourself permission to not do it all — and ask for help. I loved Michele's tips for adding simplicity to your life! Click To Tweet
Also Mentioned in this Episode:
- I referred back to my podcast episode with Tricia Goyer.
- Of course, I can't mention Tricia without also mentioning our book, Homeschool Basics!
- We'll be doing an official launch of the book next month.
- I also mention Michael Hyatt's podcast with Michele. Here's the link to a great episode & video.
- You can check out both of Michele's podcasts HERE.
- I shared about my exciting brand new “BONUS” podcast episode on “How to Set Better Goals in 2018!” that was just released on our Simply Joyful Membership site.
- My Meal Planning Made Easy Course is coming out in early February. I have a free Holiday Meal Planning Mini-Course out now if you want to check it out.
- Again, I forgot to mention my Weight Loss Coaching program! Ha! Losing weight is typically the #1 New Year's goal…and I forgot to mention it. Well, hopefully, you'll see this! You can see more about my Optavia program HERE (I give away a free eBook on weight loss).
- I also mentioned about how I'd love to help you start your business journey and help you create a business that you love! I'm working on putting together a business program, and if this is something you'd be interested in learning more, please fill out the form HERE.
…& don't forget to grab yourself a mug!
Whether you are a coffee or tea drinker, you will love this adorable Simply Joyful Mug! The back is equally inspiring with Nehemiah 8:10 written out. When you get your Simply Joyful Podcast mug, be sure to take a picture of it and use #SimplyJoyfulPodcast or #SimplyJoyfulMug. I'd love to see them!
Check them out HERE!
Help Get the Word Out…
My prayer is that this podcast would be a blessing to all who hear it. If you enjoy this podcast, it would be such a blessing to have you “Subscribe” to this podcast on iTunes or Stitcher and leave me a rating and review. This helps the podcast to rank in iTunes and be more “visible” for people searching for new podcasts to listen to. If you wanted to share this episode with friends or on social media, I've created several great images that are share-worthy. Thanks!
How to Listen to The Simply Joyful Podcast!
If you are new to the concept of listening to podcasts, then “Wow!” are you in for a treat. It's kind of like an OnDemand radio station. They are so easy to listen to when you are on the go running errands or shuttling kids or just getting projects done around the house. My favorite time to listen to my favorite podcasts is while I'm out for a walk or folding laundry.
1) Subscribe to the Podcast! You won't miss an episode when you subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher. You can always access the podcast from either of these venues by searching for “Simply Joyful Podcast.”
2) Listen on your Phone! This is my preferred method of listening. If you have an iDevice (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch), then you can listen on Apple's purple podcast app that comes on your device. If you have a non-iDevice, then Stitcher Radio is great to use. You can easily search for podcasts, subscribe, and — my favorite part — speed up the audio.
3) Listen right here on my Website! Super simple! All you have to do is just click on the play button on the podcast player located at the top of this post.
A Special Thanks to…
Rend Collective for allowing me to use their incredible song “The Joy of the Lord is My Strength.” This song has so much special meaning to me and it highlights the theme verse for my podcast — Nehemiah 8:10. Be sure to check out their music! They are such a fun band to listen to…and to see live.
Connect with Michele Cushatt…
A storyteller at heart, Michele Cushatt inspires audiences with the warmth of her transparency and presence. Her unique style makes you feel like you just spent an afternoon with a good friend, sparking tears one moment and laughter the next. A three-time cancer survivor who experienced extreme suffering, she’s unafraid to disclose her struggles and questions, so you know you’re not alone in yours.
Michele and her husband, Troy, live in Colorado with their six children, ages 10 to 25. She enjoys a good novel, a long walk, and a kitchen table filled with people.
And donuts. Lots of donuts.
Connect with Kristi…
I hope you enjoyed this week's podcast! My prayer is always that you will be blessed and encouraged by each episode.
Blessings and joy,