Welcome to the Simply Joyful Podcast
Episode #47 with Jamie Ivey
The Simply Joyful Podcast 1 Year Anniversary
Valentine's Day Giveaway!
Be sure to listen to Jamie's episode! — but don't forget to get signed-up for our amazing giveaway from our amazing season 4 sponsor!
* 4 Date Night Kits from Peach Dish*
This Week's Encouraging Episode with Jamie!
The Importance of Being Real and Sharing Our God Story
It’s easy to feel like if people really knew you, they may not like what they see. So often the choices we made years ago still haunt us. Then there are those moments when we decide to open up with someone just to be hurt with rejection or judgement. Yet, it’s so important to stay real with each other. Hard, but important.
Well, my amazing guest today, Jamie Ivey, is known for her dazzling smile and encouraging podcast called, “The Happy Hour.” Jamie is releasing her first book in a few days called If You Only Knew. In her book, she openly shares about some deeply personal things that happened in her life. I’ll let her tell you more about it on the podcast. But what is so neat is that through all her mistakes and bad choices she could feel God chasing after her. She describes it as one of the scariest things in her life.
As I read her book, a song by Natalie Grant kept running through my head — “The Real Me.” If you haven’t heard it, then you should check it out. It’s a song about how God sees the “real me.” He sees through all of our brokenness and loves us. It’s a perfect match for this book. Here I am again…pairing books with music. I seriously can’t help myself. I think in music sometimes.
It was so much fun to turn the tables on Jamie and have the chance to interview one of my favorite podcasters. I also loved learning about how she got her start. I didn’t know the backstory.
I can’t wait for you to listen into my conversation with the one and only, Jamie Ivey.
Get ready for a great interview — get your own Simply Joyful Podcast mug HERE!
Highlights from the Show
Here are a few fun quotes from this episode. Please feel free to “click to tweet” (below) or share the images below on social media.
- We kick off the episode with Jamie telling a little bit of her story — and how she got started podcasting. It's a great story!
- Jamie shares why she felt led to write a book and share her story on paper. She says that writing a book was super hard for her, and how it’s very story driven.
- It took her a long time to believe the redemption that God gave her.
- The Bible is filled with stories, and that’s so often how God teaches us things, too — through stories. I loved how Jamie talks about how we need to stop looking at our stories as failures and instead look at them as examples of God’s faithfulness.
- I asked Jamie to share a little more about why she thinks it is that people have such a hard time sharing their stories.
- I love Jamie's God-story! I also loved how she referred to God's pursuit of her as one of the scariest things in her life. (This was also my favorite chapter in the book.)
- So many times we say “yes” to God, but then we change our minds about living fully for Him. I think so much of the time this is the thing that really confuses people, and makes them question whether they are really saved. I loved reading in Jamie’s book about when she truly found true freedom and was able to walk in Him.
- I think everyone has that “one thing,” that something that they hold close and only share with just a few people. Jamie encourages people to get past that and to be real with each other.
- One of the things Jamie mentions in the book is the story of The Scarlett Letter and how, just like in the classic book, we pin letters to ourselves and walk around feeling like everyone knows. When we get used to wearing those labels and “letters” — they become our identities. This isn’t how it’s supposed to be! It all goes back to — “Who am I?” I love how Jamie shares that we are children of God and a daughter of the King. It doesn’t matter what we do in our day-to-day it doesn’t change our identity or our standing.
- As an absolute teaser (sorry), since we only mention it in the podcast, I told Jamie how much I loved her story in the book about her courtship with her husband — and there’s the particular scene where they are on a beach and…oh! *sigh* you really need to read the book. So, so beautiful.
- We had such a great reader question this week! Jamie shares about what her life looked like pre-podcast when she had littles running around!
'I was in the trenches of motherhood, I tried something, and it didn't work for my family.'Click To Tweet
'Are we finding our joys in out 'one-days', or are we finding join where God has us right now?Click To Tweet
Also Mentioned in this Episode:
- I shared about my new YouTube video up 5 Tips to Get Your New Year's Resolutions Back on Track! I hope it helps you get your goals back on track!
- Don't forget about my Weight Loss Coaching program! Ha! Losing weight is typically the #1 New Year's goal…and this is around the time that people start slacking on those goals. . . Well, hopefully, you can keep powering through! You can see more about my Optavia program HERE (I give away a free eBook on weight loss).
- I'm also working on putting together a business program, and if this is something you'd be interested in learning more, please fill out the form HERE. — I'd love to help you create the business of your dreams!
…& don't forget to grab yourself a mug!
Whether you are a coffee or tea drinker, you will love this adorable Simply Joyful Mug! The back is equally inspiring with Nehemiah 8:10 written out. When you get your Simply Joyful Podcast mug, be sure to take a picture of it and use #SimplyJoyfulPodcast or #SimplyJoyfulMug. I'd love to see them!
Check them out HERE!
Help Get the Word Out…
My prayer is that this podcast would be a blessing to all who hear it. If you enjoy this podcast, it would be such a blessing to have you “Subscribe” to this podcast on iTunes or Stitcher and leave me a rating and review. This helps the podcast to rank in iTunes and be more “visible” for people searching for new podcasts to listen to. If you wanted to share this episode with friends or on social media, I've created several great images that are share-worthy. Thanks!
How to Listen to The Simply Joyful Podcast!
If you are new to the concept of listening to podcasts, then “Wow!” are you in for a treat. It's kind of like an OnDemand radio station. They are so easy to listen to when you are on the go running errands or shuttling kids or just getting projects done around the house. My favorite time to listen to my favorite podcasts is while I'm out for a walk or folding laundry.
1) Subscribe to the Podcast! You won't miss an episode when you subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher. You can always access the podcast from either of these venues by searching for “Simply Joyful Podcast.”
2) Listen on your Phone! This is my preferred method of listening. If you have an iDevice (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch), then you can listen on Apple's purple podcast app that comes on your device. If you have a non-iDevice, then Stitcher Radio is great to use. You can easily search for podcasts, subscribe, and — my favorite part — speed up the audio.
3) Listen right here on my Website! Super simple! All you have to do is just click on the play button on the podcast player located at the top of this post.
A Special Thanks to…
Rend Collective for allowing me to use their incredible song “The Joy of the Lord is My Strength.” This song has so much special meaning to me and it highlights the theme verse for my podcast — Nehemiah 8:10. Be sure to check out their music! They are such a fun band to listen to…and to see live.
Connect with Jamie Ivey…
“The Happy Hour with Jamie Ivey believes we are all on this journey of life together and we need each other to get to the end. Through her blog and podcast,” she uses a raw and intimate approach to connect with her audience. Jamie's prayer and hope is for God to use her words to encourage and show others that they are not alone, while constantly pointing them to Jesus. She is mother to four kids and wife to Aaron. Jamie loves reading, date nights, Mexican food, and traveling the world with her family.
Connect with Kristi…
I hope you enjoyed this week's podcast! My prayer is always that you will be blessed and encouraged by each episode.
Blessings and joy,