Welcome to the Simply Joyful Podcast
Episode #48 with Jessica Kastner
The Simply Joyful Podcast 1 Year Anniversary
Valentine's Day Giveaway!
Be sure to listen to Jessica's episode! — but don't forget to get signed-up for our amazing giveaway from our amazing season 4 sponsor!
* 4 Date Night Kits from Peach Dish*
This Week's Encouraging Episode with Jessica!
The Good, the Bad, and the Crazy Side of Motherhood
Learning to laugh in the midst of the craziness of motherhood is vital. When I first became a mom I took everything so seriously. There was this internal pressure to get everything, from my homemaking to my parenting, perfect. Somewhere around my second year of parenting my perfection bubble was popped. I learned to let go of the small stuff — even the spilled organic milk — and just laugh at the craziness that often filled our day.
There is a certain amount of peace that comes with letting go. Elsa was onto something. Ha!
Today, I have the distinct pleasure of introducing you to Jessica Kastner. Jessica is the mom to three boys and the author of Hiding From the Kids in My Prayer Closet. If you don’t catch it from that title, Jessica is so much fun. I hide from my kids, too, sometimes. They always seem to find me though. Sometimes I just need a moment to breath or attempt to find quiet.
This interview today is sure to get you laughing along with us. Jessica and I had so much fun giggling over some of our favorite mommy moments. She offers so many great tips about finding the humor in parenting. You are going to truly enjoy this episode.
I can’t wait for you to listen in and gut-laugh along with us!
Get ready for a great interview — get your own Simply Joyful Podcast mug HERE!
Highlights from the Show
Here are a few fun quotes from this episode. Please feel free to “click to tweet” (below) or share the images below on social media.
- Jessica is a “boy mom” — and also a publicist, author, and contributor to a few publications (so basically an underachiever — ha!)
- We chat about her book, Hiding from the Kids in my Prayer Closet and the general public’s reaction to it — this isn’t your everyday book on motherhood.
- We talk about the expectations of motherhood — the ones we put on ourselves either from our childhood or from outside influences.
- Jessica defines the “un-mom.” This is such a great and relatable definition of what some moms truly feel.
- Motherhood is one of those things that you just have to laugh at. Jessica and I share stories about all those different times in motherhood where you just have to laugh (mainly so you don’t cry) — and how it’s good to laugh in and at these moments.
- Jessica talks about how having kids has strengthened her faith. Many moms would probably agree that if there is one thing that can strengthen your faith and get you on your knees, it’s motherhood.
- Jessica encourages moms to get in the Word and walk out their faith in all stages of the busy lifestyle of motherhood — whether it’s just little kids or as you go into the “taxi driver stage” of mothering.
- Expectations: We just need to let them go! One of the chapters in her book talks about how as parents we sometimes think that taking toddlers on a plane is a good idea and that things will go great (such a funny chapter!) I share my own funny story about flying with my sweet Wade when he was really little. Let's just say, kids are so humbling!
- One question that I thought would be really fun to ask Jessica about is if she has one really big parenting win. Jessica shares about the one time her middle child refused to go to school, and how on the first day of school (after she spent the night in prayer) he just got up and went.
- Jessica tells her story of her not-typical entrance into motherhood.
Jessica has such great advice about making sure you get your quiet time in — if you don't make time for the Lord, you will be a crazy mama. Click To Tweet
I loved Jessica's advice about putting Bethel Kids on YouTube and declaring a family dance party! Click To Tweet
Also Mentioned in this Episode:
- I shared about this sweet YouTube video:
- I'm also working on putting together a business program, and if this is something you'd be interested in learning more about the upcoming webinar, please fill out the form HERE. — I'd love to help you create the business of your dreams!
…& don't forget to grab yourself a mug!
Whether you are a coffee or tea drinker, you will love this adorable Simply Joyful Mug! The back is equally inspiring with Nehemiah 8:10 written out. When you get your Simply Joyful Podcast mug, be sure to take a picture of it and use #SimplyJoyfulPodcast or #SimplyJoyfulMug. I'd love to see them!
Check them out HERE!
Help Get the Word Out…
My prayer is that this podcast would be a blessing to all who hear it. If you enjoy this podcast, it would be such a blessing to have you “Subscribe” to this podcast on iTunes or Stitcher and leave me a rating and review. This helps the podcast to rank in iTunes and be more “visible” for people searching for new podcasts to listen to. If you wanted to share this episode with friends or on social media, I've created several great images that are share-worthy. Thanks!
How to Listen to The Simply Joyful Podcast!
If you are new to the concept of listening to podcasts, then “Wow!” are you in for a treat. It's kind of like an OnDemand radio station. They are so easy to listen to when you are on the go running errands or shuttling kids or just getting projects done around the house. My favorite time to listen to my favorite podcasts is while I'm out for a walk or folding laundry.
1) Subscribe to the Podcast! You won't miss an episode when you subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher. You can always access the podcast from either of these venues by searching for “Simply Joyful Podcast.”
2) Listen on your Phone! This is my preferred method of listening. If you have an iDevice (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch), then you can listen on Apple's purple podcast app that comes on your device. If you have a non-iDevice, then Stitcher Radio is great to use. You can easily search for podcasts, subscribe, and — my favorite part — speed up the audio.
3) Listen right here on my Website! Super simple! All you have to do is just click on the play button on the podcast player located at the top of this post.
A Special Thanks to…
Rend Collective for allowing me to use their incredible song “The Joy of the Lord is My Strength.” This song has so much special meaning to me and it highlights the theme verse for my podcast — Nehemiah 8:10. Be sure to check out their music! They are such a fun band to listen to…and to see live.
Connect with Jessica Kastner…
Jessica Kastner is an award-winning journalist and a contributor for Beliefnet.com, Huffington Post’s Christianity blog, and CBN.com. As Connecticut’s coordinator for Straight Ahead Ministries, she shares God’s message of hope by leading Bible studies in juvenile detention centers. When she’s not on the trampoline with her three boys in her hometown of Southington, Connecticut. She joins us on The Simply Joyful Podcast today to chat about her new book Hiding From the Kids in My Prayer Closet: Finding Grace and Laughter when Motherhood Gets Real.
Connect with Kristi…
I hope you enjoyed this week's podcast! My prayer is always that you will be blessed and encouraged by each episode.
Blessings and joy,