Welcome to the Simply Joyful Podcast
Episode #49 with Renee Carlson
This Week's Encouraging Episode with Renee!
The Importance of Bible Memorization
In the words of Michael W. Smith, “Friends are friends forever if the Lord’s the Lord of them.” Remember that song from way back when? Man, I do. I think I sang it at a high school graduation event for our youth group. I’m giggling right now as I remember my crimped hair and scrunchies singing loud to this song playing on my cassette tape from my boombox. I’m totally dating myself here.
Well, today I have an extraordinary guest on the show: Renee Carlson! Renee is one of my very best friends ever! My forever friend. She and I have known each other for almost 20 years. We were just newly weds when we met…and had our “closet moment” (more on that on the show). We’ve seen each other through the highs and lows of life. I wanted to bring her on the show because she is one of the most amazing women I know. She is a woman of the Word! Not only is she amazing at memorizing Scripture, but she is incredible at listening to the Lord and His promptings and making powerful impacts on the people God brings across her path.
Bible memorization has always been a struggle for me. I have all the desire in the world to be more consistent at storing God’s Word in my brain, but I don’t make the time. As you will hear from Renee today, it’s not about having lots of time. It’s about taking a few moments every day.
This may be one of your favorite episodes because Renee is going to share some very personal stories about times when God brought His Word to her mind in some very dark moments. Those Words came from a storehouse of Scripture that she has memorized through the years. What you may love even more are her tips on how she’s helped her kids to memorize entire chapters of the Bible!
So, you may not recognize Renee by all the books she’s written or because of her large online following. Nope. Renee has never written a book, although I think she should. She’s also not really on social media publically. She’s a great example of the impact you can have on lives just by stepping out and pouring into the people God has placed in your life. You don’t need anything fancy — no platform or fame. Just a mighty God, who wants to use you right where you are at.
Get ready for a great interview with my best (and oldest) friend Renee — get your own Simply Joyful Podcast mug HERE!
Highlights from the Show
Here are a few fun quotes from this episode. Please feel free to “click to tweet” (below) or share the images below on social media.
- Renee is married to her favorite person, Erik, and is a mom of three.
- We've been really good friends for almost 20 years. We laugh about when we first met — it's such a great story (we refer to it as our “closet moment”). Can't wait for you to hear!
- Early in our relationship, we started sharing honestly with each other. It is so important to have people like this in our lives — someone to call you out on your mistakes (lovingly) and make sure we're on the path that we need to be.
- I remember whenever we'd get together with our other friends, we'd all get excited to hear from Renee and hear all of the crazy things that had happened in her life.
- We share about one hilarious story about when Erik was “attacked” by their awning! Ha!
- Through the years, Erik and Renee have gone through a lot of hard times and struggles. God has taught them so much.
- During one time that Renee and her family were going through a long season of struggles, Renee immersed herself in God's Word.
- If there was one thing that I love about Renee, it is that she is a woman of the Word. In the past five or six years, Renee has memorized and learned so much Scripture.
- She has really devoted herself to learning Scripture. I asked Renee to share her tips on memorizing scripture and how it has impacted her life.
- Isn't it the desire of every parent to hold their children's hearts? I have seen first-hand the tenderness in the Carlson family. Renee gives advice on nurturing your child's heart and having a relationship with them.
- We chat (laugh) about the traumatizing event (for me) when Renee went on a heavy-duty decluttering spree — I'm still haunted!
- Renee shares what her favorite memory verse is — it's not what you think 🙂
'There is safety in being real.' Kristi Clover chats with real-life best friend Renee Carlson on this week's #SJP #ScriptureMemorizationClick To Tweet
'When the trials come and you allow them to push you into the arms of Christ there is such safety and peace.' — Renee CarlsonClick To Tweet
Also Mentioned in this Episode:
- I referred back to my podcast episode with Kat Lee: How to Create a Better Morning Routine.
- Looking for more encouragement on scripture memorization? I love this article in the Old Schoolhouse Magazine that Renee wrote: The Recipe Box: Instant Access to God's Truth through Scripture Memory
- Don't miss my exciting brand new “BONUS” podcast episode on “How to Set Better Goals in 2018!” that was just released on our Simply Joyful Membership site.
- I share my secret to how I've grown my business with B-School! This program has literally changed my business life. Such a wonderful resource and a great investment. I would love to help you start your business journey and help you create a business that you love! Here's the link to get the free business training videos that are available for a limited time: HERE.
…& don't forget to grab yourself a mug!
Whether you are a coffee or tea drinker, you will love this adorable Simply Joyful Mug! The back is equally inspiring with Nehemiah 8:10 written out. When you get your Simply Joyful Podcast mug, be sure to take a picture of it and use #SimplyJoyfulPodcast or #SimplyJoyfulMug. I'd love to see them!
Check them out HERE!
Help Get the Word Out…
My prayer is that this podcast would be a blessing to all who hear it. If you enjoy this podcast, it would be such a blessing to have you “Subscribe” to this podcast on iTunes or Stitcher and leave me a rating and review. This helps the podcast to rank in iTunes and be more “visible” for people searching for new podcasts to listen to. If you wanted to share this episode with friends or on social media, I've created several great images that are share-worthy. Thanks!
How to Listen to The Simply Joyful Podcast!
If you are new to the concept of listening to podcasts, then “Wow!” are you in for a treat. It's kind of like an OnDemand radio station. They are so easy to listen to when you are on the go running errands or shuttling kids or just getting projects done around the house. My favorite time to listen to my favorite podcasts is while I'm out for a walk or folding laundry.
1) Subscribe to the Podcast! You won't miss an episode when you subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher. You can always access the podcast from either of these venues by searching for “Simply Joyful Podcast.”
2) Listen on your Phone! This is my preferred method of listening. If you have an iDevice (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch), then you can listen on Apple's purple podcast app that comes on your device. If you have a non-iDevice, then Stitcher Radio is great to use. You can easily search for podcasts, subscribe, and — my favorite part — speed up the audio.
3) Listen right here on my Website! Super simple! All you have to do is just click on the play button on the podcast player located at the top of this post.
A Special Thanks to…
Rend Collective for allowing me to use their incredible song “The Joy of the Lord is My Strength.” This song has so much special meaning to me and it highlights the theme verse for my podcast — Nehemiah 8:10. Be sure to check out their music! They are such a fun band to listen to…and to see live.
Connect with Renee Carlson…
Renee Carlson is joyfully married to Erik Carlson and blessed mother of three treasures from heaven. In 2011, she retired from fifteen years of hairstyling to be home full time and accept the call to homeschool. She loves growing in her relationship with God, spending time with her family, and encouraging other moms in their walk with the Lord.
Connect with Kristi…
I hope you enjoyed this week's podcast! My prayer is always that you will be blessed and encouraged by each episode.
Blessings and joy,