Welcome to the Simply Joyful Podcast
Episode #52 with Dana K White
This Week's Encouraging Episode with Dana!
Decluttering Advice that Will Work for Every Family
Sometimes I wish I could just snap and my house would be magically put together. My girls love watching Mary Poppins. Whenever we get to the scene where toys are flying into place, I dream that it was only that easy in my own home. Where is Mary Poppins when you need her?
Well, I’m so excited to have Dana White, master of decluttering, on the show today. We are talking about her new book, Decluttering at the Speed of Life. I missed that nuance the first time I saw the title. At first, I thought it was a book about speedy decluttering, but it’s so much better. Today, Dana is going to be sharing with us how to fit decluttering into our lives.
I know you are going to love this episode…especially on the heels of Emily’s episode last week that was all about simplifying.
Get ready for a great interview — get your own Simply Joyful Podcast mug HERE!
Highlights from the Show
Here are a few fun quotes from this episode. Please feel free to “click to tweet” (below) or share the images below on social media.
- Dana goes by Dana K White — her reasoning why is so funny! She started her blog, A Slob Comes Clean, under a fake name on the day her second child went to Kindergarten. What was meant to just be a side hobby actually took off!
- Did you know that Dana is also a podcaster?! A Slob Comes Clean Podcast has been around for about 4 or 5 years and started because Dana thought it would be fun! She self-taught herself all the ins and outs.
- Dana calls herself a slob, but really how bad could it have been? I ask Dana to paint a picture for the listeners… One thing that I think is such a big blessing is when someone has been in your shoes and they have learned something — I don't know about you, but I can learn so much from that person! I think that really resonates with people.
- Dana's first book was fun, but this one!! Decluttering at the Speed of Life — I love it! (Confession: I totally read her title wrong the first time and thought she was going to be teaching how to speed clean!) We can be organized in different areas in our lives, but it doesn't always shine through in our home. In our homes, it's a never-ending thing. I love that she breaks down decluttering and organization in her book — she breaks down decluttering into layers. My favorite layer that she chats about is procrasti-clutter. Dana shares a little more about what this is and how to overcome it.
- In Decluttering at the Speed of Life, Dana talks about how our house is a container and when we view it that way, it changes our perspective. Dana explains a little more in detail this concept.
- One thing that Dana mentions that I thought was interesting and reminded me of the Marie Kondo method, was that Dana has her followers ask questions while they are decluttering. I ask Dana what her thoughts are on The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.
- Are you ready to get started decluttering yet? Dana shares the best place for you to start.
- I love our listener questions! This week Kristy asks: “How do I keep up with what I've done while moving on to the next area?
I love Dana's fun-family tradition — even though her kids are older, still make sure to do those traditions even though they may change over time.Click To Tweet
Are you ready to start decluttering yet? Listen to this great #SimplyJoyfulPodcast episode with Dana K White!Click To Tweet
Also Mentioned in this Episode:
- Don't forget about my Weight Loss Coaching program! Ha! Losing weight is typically the #1 New Year's goal…and this is around the time that people start slacking on those goals. . . Well, hopefully, you can keep powering through! You can see more about my Optavia program HERE (I give away a free eBook on weight loss).
- I'm also working on putting together a business program, and if this is something you'd be interested in learning more, please fill out the form HERE. — I'd love to help you create the business of your dreams!
…& don't forget to grab yourself a mug!
Whether you are a coffee or tea drinker, you will love this adorable Simply Joyful Mug! The back is equally inspiring with Nehemiah 8:10 written out. When you get your Simply Joyful Podcast mug, be sure to take a picture of it and use #SimplyJoyfulPodcast or #SimplyJoyfulMug. I'd love to see them!
Check them out HERE!
Help Get the Word Out…
My prayer is that this podcast would be a blessing to all who hear it. If you enjoy this podcast, it would be such a blessing to have you “Subscribe” to this podcast on iTunes or Stitcher and leave me a rating and review. This helps the podcast to rank in iTunes and be more “visible” for people searching for new podcasts to listen to. If you wanted to share this episode with friends or on social media, I've created several great images that are share-worthy. Thanks!
How to Listen to The Simply Joyful Podcast!
If you are new to the concept of listening to podcasts, then “Wow!” are you in for a treat. It's kind of like an OnDemand radio station. They are so easy to listen to when you are on the go running errands or shuttling kids or just getting projects done around the house. My favorite time to listen to my favorite podcasts is while I'm out for a walk or folding laundry.
1) Subscribe to the Podcast! You won't miss an episode when you subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher. You can always access the podcast from either of these venues by searching for “Simply Joyful Podcast.”
2) Listen on your Phone! This is my preferred method of listening. If you have an iDevice (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch), then you can listen on Apple's purple podcast app that comes on your device. If you have a non-iDevice, then Stitcher Radio is great to use. You can easily search for podcasts, subscribe, and — my favorite part — speed up the audio.
3) Listen right here on my Website! Super simple! All you have to do is just click on the play button on the podcast player located at the top of this post.
A Special Thanks to…
Rend Collective for allowing me to use their incredible song “The Joy of the Lord is My Strength.” This song has so much special meaning to me and it highlights the theme verse for my podcast — Nehemiah 8:10. Be sure to check out their music! They are such a fun band to listen to…and to see live.
Connect with Dana K White…
Dana K. White, creator of A Slob Comes Clean blog and author of How to Manage Your Home Without Losing Your Mind, is a busy mom, successful blogger and flourishing author, so she is quite familiar with what feels like the impossible – a clean, simplified, highly functioning home.
Connect with Kristi…
I hope you enjoyed this week's podcast! My prayer is always that you will be blessed and encouraged by each episode.
Blessings and joy,