Welcome to the Simply Joyful Podcast
Episode #53 with Priscilla Shirer
This Week's Encouraging Episode with Priscilla!
A Story of Redemption and Forgiveness on the Silver Screen
Most of you probably know my incredibly talented guest, Priscilla Shirer, as a writer and Bible study teacher. However, you may have also discovered that she has some acting chops as well, starring in War Room a few years ago.
Well, I had the incredible honor of interviewing Priscilla this week and discussing her newest role as Mrs. Fincher in the new movie, I Can Only Imagine. Most of us are very familiar with the MercyMe’s hit song, “I Can Only Imagine.” However, not many people know the story behind the song. Bart Millard has an amazing life story filled with pain, abandonment, and abuse — and redemption, forgiveness, and love!
Don’t worry, I didn’t only talk to Priscilla about the movie. I asked her a few listener questions at the end…and her answers were amazing and so ridiculously encouraging.
Get ready for a great interview — get your own Simply Joyful Podcast mug HERE!
Highlights from the Show
Here are a few fun quotes from this episode. Please feel free to “click to tweet” (below) or share the images below on social media.
- Priscilla Shirer is a mother of three boys — two are teens, so she says that her full-time job is keeping them feed (Amen!)
- Priscilla's sister, Chrystal Hurst, is one of my sweet friends who was the guest on episode three, her father is Tony Evans, and her brother was recently on the Voice — it's a bit of an understatement to say that Priscilla comes from a very talented family! Priscilla shares a little about the blessings that the Lord that has bestowed on her family.
- Most listeners will know Priscilla from her Bible study ministry and the fact that she's a writer, but she recently went from writing to acting. I ask Priscilla what it was like transitioning to acting.
- You guys, just wait until you see this trailer (you can watch it below!) I just cried when I saw it! (Which shouldn't really surprise anyone since I'm a crier…) But, this movie is based on MercyMe's hit song, “I Can Only Imagine.” As the director, Jon Erwin, says, “It's the song you know, but the story you don't.” I asked Priscilla to share a little more about what this story is about.
* Be sure to check out my interview below with the co-director of the movie, Jon Erwin!
- I had the opportunity to get a sneak peek at a snippet of Priscilla playing Mrs. Fincher, Bart's (the main character) music teacher. Priscilla explains a little more about who Mrs. Fincher was in Bart's life and why she was so important to him.
- There's a lot of new Christian films popping up here and there — which I love since my family enjoys watching movies together. I Can Only Imagine has at its core a story of redemption and forgiveness. Priscilla shared more about how the gospel is shared within the movie, as well.
- I would love for all my listeners to go out and support this film — there is such power in where you spend your money (especially at the box office), but on a broader note, I asked Priscilla how we can be praying for this film as it hits the box office.
- I Can Only Imagine opens today, March 16th! Be sure to go see it in theaters! — and be sure to watch my interview with the director, Jon Erwin, over on my YouTube channel HERE!
We had so many great listener questions this week! I was only able to ask her just a couple!
Jeannette asked: “How do you organize your schedule around family and work?”
Kelly asked: “Kids are faced with spiritual warfare to an increasing degree, do you have any insight on training our children in this area?”
Do you have a question for one of our upcoming guests? We'd love to have you join us on our Facebook community! Find out information on upcoming guests, meet new friends, and get daily encouragement!
'When you start seeing the Lord lay out a path for you, you have to die a thousand deaths to your own dreams and ambitions.' — Priscilla ShirerClick To Tweet
Be sure to listen to this week's episode of the Simply Joyful podcast! Kristi chats with Priscilla Shirer about her role in the new movie I Can Only Imagine! Click To Tweet
Click the movie poster below to find out more about the film and see which theaters in your town it's playing!
…& don't forget to grab yourself a mug!
Whether you are a coffee or tea drinker, you will love this adorable Simply Joyful Mug! The back is equally inspiring with Nehemiah 8:10 written out. When you get your Simply Joyful Podcast mug, be sure to take a picture of it and use #SimplyJoyfulPodcast or #SimplyJoyfulMug. I'd love to see them!
Check them out HERE!
Help Get the Word Out…
My prayer is that this podcast would be a blessing to all who hear it. If you enjoy this podcast, it would be such a blessing to have you “Subscribe” to this podcast on iTunes or Stitcher and leave me a rating and review. This helps the podcast to rank in iTunes and be more “visible” for people searching for new podcasts to listen to. If you wanted to share this episode with friends or on social media, I've created several great images that are share-worthy. Thanks!
How to Listen to The Simply Joyful Podcast!
If you are new to the concept of listening to podcasts, then “Wow!” are you in for a treat. It's kind of like an OnDemand radio station. They are so easy to listen to when you are on the go running errands or shuttling kids or just getting projects done around the house. My favorite time to listen to my favorite podcasts is while I'm out for a walk or folding laundry.
1) Subscribe to the Podcast! You won't miss an episode when you subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher. You can always access the podcast from either of these venues by searching for “Simply Joyful Podcast.”
2) Listen on your Phone! This is my preferred method of listening. If you have an iDevice (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch), then you can listen on Apple's purple podcast app that comes on your device. If you have a non-iDevice, then Stitcher Radio is great to use. You can easily search for podcasts, subscribe, and — my favorite part — speed up the audio.
3) Listen right here on my Website! Super simple! All you have to do is just click on the play button on the podcast player located at the top of this post.
A Special Thanks to…
Rend Collective for allowing me to use their incredible song “The Joy of the Lord is My Strength.” This song has so much special meaning to me and it highlights the theme verse for my podcast — Nehemiah 8:10. Be sure to check out their music! They are such a fun band to listen to…and to see live.
Connect with Priscilla Shirer…
Priscilla Shirer is a wife and mom first, but put a Bible in her hand and a message in her heart, and you’ll see why thousands meet God in powerful, personal ways at her conferences and through her books and Bible studies. She and her husband Jerry lead Going Beyond Ministries, through which they provide spiritual support and resources to the body of Christ. Between writing and studying, Priscilla can usually be found at home cleaning up after (and trying to satisfy the appetites of) her three rapidly growing boys. Priscilla played Elizabeth in the powerful movie War Room.
Connect with Kristi…
I hope you enjoyed this week's podcast! My prayer is always that you will be blessed and encouraged by each episode.
Blessings and joy,