Welcome to the Simply Joyful Podcast
On today's episode I am honored to chat with Dave Stotts from Drive Thru History. Not only is he so funny, but he's got great stories. My family has been long time fans of Drive Thru History, so I'm thrilled to get to give you a little behind the scenes glimpse at some of their adventures! I just know you are going to love this episode. Be sure to listen in and check out all the show notes below.
* So you don't miss an episode!
This Week's Encouraging Episode with Dave!
Making the Bible & History Come Alive
History was never very interesting to me when I was in school. I felt like it was all about dates and events that I had to memorize for a test. I was totally surprised when we started homeschooling our kids and history became my favorite subject to teach. I knew I’d like science since that was my major. However, history came alive for the first time to both me and my husband about 10 years ago.
One of the key factors in this new found love for history was this DVD that a friend had given me to watch. She told me that I’d love it and my boys would enjoy it when they got a little older (since they were just 5 & 6 at the time). That DVD was Drive Through History. I just remember laughing so hard as Dave talked about Romulus and Remus drinking milk from a wolf. Then there were all his other antics. I was hooked…and soon my whole family became hooked.
One of the things that I enjoy most about speaking and podcasting is the opportunities I get to meet people that I already follow online and admire. So, when I had the opportunity to interview Dave Stotts two years ago for my YouTube channel, my whole family was excited. It was my first official interview — pre-podcast and everything — and it was SO fun. Dave just makes everything fun.
So, I’m extra excited to share this new podcast interview with you. I have to say that I really wish I recorded every minute of our conversation even before and after hitting record. He just kept me laughing. But I know you are going to just love this episode of the podcast with Dave Stotts. Hopefully, you’ll fall in love with history all over again — or maybe for the first time. Do be sure to check out all the resources that Dave and his team at Drive Thru History have for your family at KristiClover.com/DTH. You are in for a treat!
I hope you enjoy this conversation with Dave Stotts! I know I was!
My First Interview with Dave!
Quotes & Highlights from the Show!
Here are a few fun quotes from this episode. Please feel free to “click to tweet” (below) or share the images below on social media.
Fun Highlights from the Show:
- Dave’s official title at Drive Thru History is “video producer guy” who hosts the history show Drive Thru History. The show is actually a mash-up of three different programs: (1) history (2) Biblical history and (3) entertainment that takes viewers all over the world. Every episode is sure to be entertaining that’s for sure! Dave is always fun to watch as he gets bit by camels or struggles with his germaphobia.
- We chatted a little about the history behind Drive Thru History and how Dave became the host — such a funny story!
- Dave is the historian on film, and I asked him to share how he works in the history on the show. Does he already know it or learn it as he goes? Does he memorize something or does he completely wing it? Is everything pieced together post production? The story he shares about getting Benjamin Franklin’s birthday wrong on film — it will have you rolling!
- It’s so mind-blowing that Dave and his team are able to take history and tell in such a way that they don’t leave the “God” part out — I love that! When I first got the DVDs (well, VHS…) I remember how much my husband and I enjoyed watching them! They were so great and were teaching us things that we hadn’t learned before!
- Dave has been all over the world. I asked him a few fast-fire questions about different places he’s been. I loved the stories that Dave tells of his travels and filming in the many different countries he's visited.
- I’m really excited about Dave’s new Acts to Revelation series that just came out, but I’m also super excited about his membership site — Drive Thru History Adventures! It is a clearinghouse for all of Drive Thru History's stuff, but there is so much more … the show is just the beginning! You’ll have to check it out!
- Another amazing thing is that is Dave in the Museum of the Bible — how cool is that! I asked him to tell us how he got that opportunity — and if he feels old since he’s in a museum. Ha!
- Dave works week-to-week immersed in history. I asked him if while he’s been working if there was anything significant that he’s learned about God while shooting the show, and how has his faith been affected while he’s been digging into history over the course of the show.
- Guys, get ready!! Dave spills about new projects coming down the pipeline and oooh! I can’t wait! It’s going to be awesome.
We had a great listener question this week!
- Jenny, well, actually Jenny’s son asks: “Do you ever get worried or scared while traveling?”
Also Mentioned in this Episode:
- This season we have the blessing of having two great sponsors! You’ve heard about SkillTrek in past episodes. Skill Trek helps prepare kids and young adults for life with real skills. They have a comprehensive library of over 500 life skills and counting! You can get 15% off an annual membership with the coupon code: CLOVER15 (coupon expires June 30th).
- This episode I want to introduce you to PrepDish — not to confused with PeachDish — PrepDish is actually a healthy subscription-based meal planning service! Y’all know how I love meal planning, and they will do it all for you! Not only will they send you a grocery list, but they will also send you prep-ahead instructions so your meals are set and ready for the week! Be sure to jump over to PrepDish and start your subscription (summer is coming!) For being a Simply Joyful Podcast listener, you can get a free two-week PrepDish trial! Just head over to KristiClover.com/prepdish!
- The Simply Joyful Membership Site!! Don't miss all the fun things that are going on on the membership site! We are upping our game!
…& don't forget to grab yourself a mug!
Whether you are a coffee or tea drinker, you will love this adorable Simply Joyful Mug! The back is equally inspiring with Nehemiah 8:10 written out. When you get your Simply Joyful Podcast mug, be sure to take a picture of it and use #SimplyJoyfulPodcast or #SimplyJoyfulMug. I'd love to see them!
Check them out HERE!
Help Get the Word Out…
My prayer is that this podcast would be a blessing to all who hear it. If you enjoy this podcast, it would be such a blessing to have you “Subscribe” to this podcast on iTunes or Stitcher and leave me a rating and review. This helps the podcast to rank in iTunes and be more “visible” for people searching for new podcasts to listen to. If you wanted to share this episode with friends or on social media, I've created several great images that are share-worthy. Thanks!
How to Listen to The Simply Joyful Podcast!
If you are new to the concept of listening to podcasts, then “Wow!” are you in for a treat. It's kind of like an OnDemand radio station. They are so easy to listen to when you are on the go running errands or shuttling kids or just getting projects done around the house. My favorite time to listen to my favorite podcasts is while I'm out for a walk or folding laundry.
1) Subscribe to the Podcast! You won't miss an episode when you subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher. You can always access the podcast from either of these venues by searching for “Simply Joyful Podcast.”
2) Listen on your Phone! This is my preferred method of listening. If you have an iDevice (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch), then you can listen on Apple's purple podcast app that comes on your device. If you have a non-iDevice, then Stitcher Radio is great to use. You can easily search for podcasts, subscribe, and — my favorite part — speed up the audio.
3) Listen right here on my Website! Super simple! All you have to do is just click on the play button on the podcast player located at the top of this post.
A Special Thanks to…
Rend Collective for allowing me to use their incredible song “The Joy of the Lord is My Strength.” This song has so much special meaning to me and it highlights the theme verse for my podcast — Nehemiah 8:10. Be sure to check out their music! They are such a fun band to listen to…and to see live.
Connect with Dave Stotts…
Dave Stotts has spent the last two decades in professional media production. His career in documentary films has taken him to nearly 30 countries to shoot and edit programs on a wide variety of topics. Dave is the host of Drive Thru History, a fun, fast-paced, content-rich history show that speeds through ancient civilizations, the Holy Land, and the founding of America, allowing students to experience the people, places, and events that shaped our world and the Christian faith.
Be sure to visit his site at drivethruhistoryadventures.com.
Connect with Kristi…
I hope you enjoyed this week's podcast! My prayer is always that you will be blessed and encouraged by each episode.
Blessings and joy,