Welcome to the Simply Joyful Podcast
I loved chatting about hospitality with Jen Schmidt! I just know you are going to be so encouraged. Be sure to listen in and check out all the show notes below.
Get ready for a great interview — get your own Simply Joyful Podcast mug HERE!
* So you don't miss an episode!
This Week's Encouraging Episode with Jen!
How to Simplify Hospitality
Hospitality is near and dear to my heart. I’m happiest when I have people at my house and I get the chance to serve them. Maybe that’s why I have so many kids. Lots of people to love on and feed. Ha! Well, as soon as I saw Jen Schmidt’s new book come out, I contacted her immediately to come on the podcast. I knew I wanted an opportunity to talk about the heart of hospitality — and it’s not about always being fancy. Fancy is fun, but sometimes we just have to open our doors and welcome people in just as we are. Jen’s new book is called, Just Open the Door: How One Invitation Can Change a Generation. You’re going to love some of the stories she shares about the impact of her passion to just welcome people into her home — often times when she wasn’t quite expecting folks to come inside.
I hope you are so encouraged by this conversation with Jen Schmidt! I know I was!
Quotes & Highlights from the Show!
Here are a few fun quotes from this episode. Please feel free to “click to tweet” (below) or share the images below on social media.
Fun Highlights from the Show:
- For those of you who don’t know Jen Schmidt, she started out blogging at Beauty and Bedlam almost ten years ago — in the throws of motherhood (she has 5 kids too)! She is also an author and has an runs an amazing conference for women called The Becoming Conference. (It sounds like so much fun! I want to go to one!)
- Hospitality is a passion of mine, and I really enjoyed Jen’s book, Just Open the Door. She has so many gems and great tips throughout the book on simplifying hospitality. I asked Jen to share the inspiration behind the book. The fact that “hospitality” isn’t on the cover of her book was intentional — I love Jen’s reason why!
- Jen threw me off when she quoted Martha Stewart in her book! Jen takes Martha’s definition of hospitality and throws a Biblical shift on it. Love it! Jen explains a little more about how and why she looks at hospitality in that way. I love the story Jen tells about how her heart changed from “entertaining” to true “hospitality” — just wait until you hear it!
- I asked Jen about how we can go deeper in our hospitality. She shared tips on how we can take our hospitality to the next level and give it more of a biblical focus. I love how Jen shares the lifestyle and legacy of hospitality!
- Jen has a whole segment in her book about “do-overs.” She shares a story that so resonated with me — about the stress of hospitality and really wanting to grow a legacy of hospitality in our kids. I asked Jen to share a little about the legacy of hospitality and how the “do-overs” impacted her hospitality practice.
- What I really enjoyed about Jen’s book is that not only does she tell stories throughout, but she also has a “Dear Jen” section (that is so great) that basically answers people's specific questions about hospitality. Another thing I really liked was her section called “Elevate the Ordinary,” where Jen gives great practical advice. Jen really takes the intimidation off the plate if hospitality seems intimidating to you.
- I love Jen’s concept of neighboring well, too. I asked Jen to explain what “neighboring well” looks like. I think you'll like her suggestions. So simple and so easy — and her ideas for spontaneous hospitality are the best!
- Hospitality can be draining. There can be times of burn out. Jen shared about how Jesus also got tired and would retreat for a time to recharge! Jen explains how this, recharging our batteries and filling ourselves up, is necessary so that we can pour into others.
- Need extra help? Jen has you covered! Throughout Just Open the Door there is an “extra helping” written by someone close to Jen. One of my favorites was written by Antonie. I asked Jen to tell a little bit more about Antonie and share his story. You can read his story in her book — I promise it’s a good one! And another little fun tidbit…Antonie is the one who inspired the subtitle for the book, How One Invitation Can Change a Generation!
- We all know that food seems to go hand-in-hand with hospitality. I asked Jen to share some of her favorite go-to meals for when she has unexpected guests drop by. You don’t want to miss her great tips!
Also Mentioned (or should have mentioned) in this Episode:
- Jen and I talk about just how much we love the idea of Kristin Schell's turquoise table — and Kristin was on our podcast season three! You can listen to Kristin's episode HERE!
- My “Favorite Things” Page!! I have finally put everything in one spot for you! All my favorite books and products! I hope you'll check it out at KristiClover.com/FavoriteThings
- Skill Trek!! I love our season 5 sponsor. Be sure to check out all the information on our wonderful on Skill Trek! Skill Trek helps prepare kids and young adults for life with real skills. They have a comprehensive library of over 500 life skills and counting! You can get 15% off an annual membership with the coupon code: CLOVER15 (coupon expires June 30th).
- The Simply Joyful Membership Site!! Don't miss all the fun things that are going on on the membership site! We are upping our game!
- Join our Facebook Community, too! Visit with other Simply Joyful fans + weigh in on questions for our guests! Your question might just be used in the podcast.
- Are you needing help getting healthy for summer? I didn’t mention in this episode, but I have a weight loss program that I love called Optavia! I’m a health coach with them. If you are interested in learning more about that and my special coaching program, just head HERE for more info.
…& don't forget to grab yourself a mug!
Whether you are a coffee or tea drinker, you will love this adorable Simply Joyful Mug! The back is equally inspiring with Nehemiah 8:10 written out. When you get your Simply Joyful Podcast mug, be sure to take a picture of it and use #SimplyJoyfulPodcast or #SimplyJoyfulMug. I'd love to see them!
Check them out HERE!
Help Get the Word Out…
My prayer is that this podcast would be a blessing to all who hear it. If you enjoy this podcast, it would be such a blessing to have you “Subscribe” to this podcast on iTunes or Stitcher and leave me a rating and review. This helps the podcast to rank in iTunes and be more “visible” for people searching for new podcasts to listen to. If you wanted to share this episode with friends or on social media, I've created several great images that are share-worthy. Thanks!
How to Listen to The Simply Joyful Podcast!
If you are new to the concept of listening to podcasts, then “Wow!” are you in for a treat. It's kind of like an OnDemand radio station. They are so easy to listen to when you are on the go running errands or shuttling kids or just getting projects done around the house. My favorite time to listen to my favorite podcasts is while I'm out for a walk or folding laundry.
1) Subscribe to the Podcast! You won't miss an episode when you subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher. You can always access the podcast from either of these venues by searching for “Simply Joyful Podcast.”
2) Listen on your Phone! This is my preferred method of listening. If you have an iDevice (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch), then you can listen on Apple's purple podcast app that comes on your device. If you have a non-iDevice, then Stitcher Radio is great to use. You can easily search for podcasts, subscribe, and — my favorite part — speed up the audio.
3) Listen right here on my Website! Super simple! All you have to do is just click on the play button on the podcast player located at the top of this post.
A Special Thanks to…
Rend Collective for allowing me to use their incredible song “The Joy of the Lord is My Strength.” This song has so much special meaning to me and it highlights the theme verse for my podcast — Nehemiah 8:10. Be sure to check out their music! They are such a fun band to listen to…and to see live.
Connect with Jen Schmidt…
For the last decade, Jen Schmidt has been encouraging, challenging, and cheering on women to embrace both the beauty and bedlam of their everyday lives on her popular lifestyle blog, Balancing Beauty and Bedlam. With a variety of topics—from easy dinner ideas and personal finance to leaving a legacy—Jen equips others to live life to its fullest, reminding them it’s the little things that really are the big things in life.
A popular speaker, worship leader and founder/host of the annual Becoming Conference, Jen shares with humor and authenticity as she invites others to join her on this bumpy, beautiful life journey. She lives in North Carolina with her husband, five children, a few too many animals, and an available sofa for anyone who needs it.
Connect with Kristi…
I hope you enjoyed this week's podcast! My prayer is always that you will be blessed and encouraged by each episode.
Blessings and joy,