All About Summer Reading
In this episode, we'll be talking about summer reading. But not just any summer reading. Summer reading for your kids! We're going to be suggesting so many great books for your kids to read independently or fun ones for read alouds. While reading can take place at any time of the year, this episode is special because we're talking with none other than Sarita Holzmann. If you are unfamiliar with Sarita, you are in for a really special treat!
Sarita is the founder of Sonlight Curriculum and she has read and reviewed over sixteen thousand books (and counting) over the past twenty-seven years. She's passionate about helping families raise life-long learners and readers.
I know that you're going to love this episode with Sarita! Get ready to be encouraged!
In this episode of the Simply Joyful Podcast we discuss:
- The story of how Sonlight got started
- The number of books Sarita has read and reviewed
- The importance of kids reading during the summer
- Strategies for getting kids to read during the summer
- Sarita's favorite summer reads for families
- The seven-point test that books must pass to get on a Sonlight list
- Sarita's favorite time of day for reading aloud
Resources, books, and links mentioned in this episode:
- SONLIGHT'S AMAZING SUMMER READING LIST!!
- Sonlight Curriculum
- Captain Nobody
- Adventure with Waffles
- Little Britches
- A Murder for Her Majesty
- About Average
- The Narnia Series
- The Sign of the Beaver
- Breaking Stalin's Nose
- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
- When You Reach Me
- A Long Walk to Water
- Where the Red Fern Grows
Be Sure to Request Your Sonlight Catalog:
Connect with Me, too!
Check out more great interviews and episodes on the Simply Joyful Podcast:
Are you new to the Simply Joyful Podcast?
- Join our Simply Joyful Community!: Get encouraging newsletters and a FREE digital copy of my Sanity Savers for Moms book!
- Support the Simply Joyful Podcast: Keep the podcast alive with a small monthly donation. (Thanks so much!)
- Join our Facebook Community, too!: Lots of great conversations and encouragement happening there!
- Check out “My Favorite Things” on Amazon!: See my top recommendations for home organization products, great books, gift ideas, holiday decor, and more!
- Join me for LIVE guest interviews!: I've moved my podcast interviews to Facebook Live! Be sure to “Like” my FB page and click to “get notifications” so you never miss an interview–and a chance to ask your favorite authors questions!
- Listen in to the podcast on your favorite podcast app! Be sure to subscribe, rate, and review the podcast, too, to help others find the Simply Joyful Podcast!!
- Get behind-the-scenes details: I do special videos and live videos on YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook!
- Wanna get healthy with me?: Yep, I'm a health and weight loss coach. I didn’t mention that I have a weight loss program that I love called Optavia! If you are interested in learning more about that and my special coaching program, just head HERE for more info.