This spaghetti recipe is so good we should call it Spaghetti #1! It is easy & delicious! Hope you like it! I use a big dutch oven to make this recipe.
- 1 pound sweet, Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cans tomato sauce or 1 lg. can of tomato puree
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2c.+ fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4c. red wine
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 package pasta (16oz)
- Optional: Parmesan or mozzarella cheese
- Take the sausage out of the casings and pull apart into small pieces.
- Brown the sausage, onions, & garlic together in your dutch oven. You can add a little oil to the bottom of the pot if you’d like, but I find that the sausage is usually fatty enough for it all not to stick.
- Once brown and onions are tender, add the canned tomatoes & sauce, basil, wine, salt, & pepper. Tip: If your kids are opposed to tomato chunks, use an immersion blender to get rid of the chunks.
- Mix it all together and let the flavors blend!
- I like to let it simmer for at least 15 minutes, but if I’m in a pinch I serve it once it’s hot. 😉
- While your sauce is simmering, cook your pasta.
- Taste it to make sure you don’t need more salt, pepper, or basil.
- Optional: Top with parmesan cheese (or mozzarella)
Serve with pasta (of course), salad, and/or garlic bread!
I have found that using a stainless steel pot versus a non-stick pot somehow allows more flavor to come through. I’ve found this to be true with many other recipes.
Also, you can use spicy sausage instead of the sweet sausage to give the recipe a little kick.